Small Vans

Old October 13th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Rowe

Default Small Vans

I have been using a VW motor camper, Villa conversion with an awning on the
side to provide extra space,for a number of years. We like to move on
after three or four days on a site and the problem is erecting and
dismantling the awning, which is becoming a chore. We have thought that a
small caravan such as an Eriba which is roughly the same length as our VW,
would solve our problem as we don't have much space to store anything very
big at home. Any suggestions or tips regarding other small vans would be
appreciated. M.

Old October 14th 05, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Shaun Robertson

Michael Rowe wrote:
I have been using a VW motor camper, Villa conversion with an awning on the
side to provide extra space,for a number of years. We like to move on
after three or four days on a site and the problem is erecting and
dismantling the awning, which is becoming a chore. We have thought that a
small caravan such as an Eriba which is roughly the same length as our VW,
would solve our problem as we don't have much space to store anything very
big at home. Any suggestions or tips regarding other small vans would be
appreciated. M.

Hi Michael, we were in the same position as you - had a 1972 VW camper
for years but sold it in the end because we couldn't justify
maintaining and insuring a 30+ year old vehicle for occasional use.
Had a trailer tent last Summer which was great to tow, but took ages to
set up and dismantle and it was always raining when we arrived on site!
We recently bought a 10ft caravan, a Freedom Sunseeker.
www.freedomcaravans.com. You can get them reasonably cheaply second
hand, ours is 1995 and cost 750 (though I think we got a bargain).
There is a new one on Ebay at the moment with some interior pics if you
search for "freedom microlite"

Very small and light, no effort to tow with our 1.6 Octavia, quite
basic inside (no toilet or running hot water) but adequate for our
needs. It *is* small inside, but certainly more interior space than
our VW bus had - an awning will be useful if you're staying on a site
for more than a couple of days, at least you have the choice whether to
use one or not.

Other makes we looked at were Eriba, Esterel, Fleurette and Rapido.

How many berth, how much do you want to spend, and what car will you be
towing with?

Cheers
Shaun