Speeding in France

Old October 15th 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Default Speeding in France

Just saw the following article and thought it may be of interest

http://tinyurl.com/73suq
--

Little John from Sherwood Forest!

Old October 15th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"John" wrote in message
Just saw the following article and thought it may be of interest

http://tinyurl.com/73suq
--

Little John from Sherwood Forest!

About time too. One of my few complaints about France is that people
generally drive too fast. With approximately the same population as the UK
they have been killing between two and three times more people than we do
each year.
This year in a small town in Normandy we saw college students being
instructed in how to control a car in a skid. The car had the rear wheels
removed and replaced with a contraption with small wheels like a shopping
trolley, and when driven incorrectly it behaved as though on ice. I thought
this was a silly idea as the main cause of drivers skidding is excess speed
and the accent should have been on driving slower not encouraging kids to
try to master skills that only advanced and experienced motorists will ever
be able to achieve.
Also this year saw a number of police vehicles parked up with the officer
using a hand held speed camera. I hope the campaign works and this year in
our two months in France we saw only one traffic accident and that was on
the A9 near Perpignan.

Regards.

Dave

Old October 15th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
La Croix Joreau

Dave Dew wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

The French police have been issued with a lot of hand held speed
camera's in the last couple of years. There are also camera cars around
which park up and film speeding motorists.

Now there is a zero limit to drinking and driving there are a lot more
police checks. We came out of Saumur the other weekend and there are two
roundabouts next to each other with a total of five exits, on each exit
were at least four police vehicles and lots of police officers, and they
were stopping as many vehicles as they could.

Another law introduced last year was that dipped headlights are meant to
be on all the time in the winter period but that has not been enforced
as much yet.

John

www.lacroixjoreau.com - Cottages and apartments in the Loire Valley

Old October 15th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
What

La Croix Joreau wrote:
Another law introduced last year was that dipped headlights are meant
to be on all the time in the winter period but that has not been
enforced as much yet.

It was a trial, not a law yet.

Old October 15th 05, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"What" wrote in message
La Croix Joreau wrote:
Another law introduced last year was that dipped headlights are meant
to be on all the time in the winter period but that has not been
enforced as much yet.

It was a trial, not a law yet.

I think it should be law in the UK.

Last Saturday we were on the A75 between Gretna and Castle Douglas is was a
miserable day with a lot of surface water and visibility was greatly reduce..

I would recon more than 60% were running with out any lights 30% had only
sidelights on and the rest were running on dipped head lights

I know which is safer in murky conditions like that , visibility 5 feet above the
road surface wasn't a problem , the lorries coming down from Stranrear could be
seen a fair distance away.

DieSea.

Old October 15th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"DieSea" wrote in message

"What" wrote in message
La Croix Joreau wrote:
Another law introduced last year was that dipped headlights are meant
to be on all the time in the winter period but that has not been
enforced as much yet.

It was a trial, not a law yet.

I think it should be law in the UK.

Last Saturday we were on the A75 between Gretna and Castle Douglas is was

miserable day with a lot of surface water and visibility was greatly

reduce..

I would recon more than 60% were running with out any lights 30% had only
sidelights on and the rest were running on dipped head lights

I know which is safer in murky conditions like that , visibility 5 feet

above the
road surface wasn't a problem , the lorries coming down from Stranrear

could be
seen a fair distance away.

DieSea.

So what makes you think that if it is law that it would be obeyed?

Take the use of hand-held mobile phones whilst driving!