OT - which vacuum cleaner

Old October 15th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

Default OT - which vacuum cleaner

Must be some clean living people on this group!

Vac just blew up. We always had uprights, and fancied a Dyson next.
Until I read about them on Google groups (reliability problems).

....everyone seems to recommend cylinder vacs, typically Miele, and I see
that is what Which magazine seem to recommend.

Are cylinder vacs as good as uprights for carpets? what about the brush
(cylinder models don't have them, right?)?

What would you recommend?

TIA!
--
Andy
Old October 15th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"andy" wrote in message
Must be some clean living people on this group!

Vac just blew up. We always had uprights, and fancied a Dyson next.
Until I read about them on Google groups (reliability problems).

...everyone seems to recommend cylinder vacs, typically Miele, and I see
that is what Which magazine seem to recommend.

Are cylinder vacs as good as uprights for carpets? what about the brush
(cylinder models don't have them, right?)?

What would you recommend?

TIA!
--

Andy

There are several things to take into account when deciding on a new vacuum
cleaner. Upright cleaners tend to cause less back strain and are good for
fitted carpets as they have a powered brush effect on the carpet. The old
Hoovers had a beating bar which was not to kind to the carpet. Personally I
would recommend a Sebo upright which is what we have. Cylinder cleaners are
good for wood floors, cleaning the car but they generally require more input
in terms of pushing the head around the floor, not so good if you have a bad
back. Miele are indeed a superb product and if look after will last for
years, we had one for many years and it is now being used by our youngest
son. Its much more difficult to choose a vacuum for the caravan - weak
attempt to keep on topic!!!!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old October 15th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , David
Klyne muttered:
There are several things to take into account when deciding on a new vacuum
cleaner. Upright cleaners tend to cause less back strain and are good for
fitted carpets as they have a powered brush effect on the carpet. The old
Hoovers had a beating bar which was not to kind to the carpet. Personally I
would recommend a Sebo upright which is what we have.

Thanks David, I'll look into Sebo. Does it take more effort to use a
cylinder model on carpet (than an upright)?

--
Andy

Old October 15th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:14:59 +0100, andy
wrote:

Must be some clean living people on this group!

Vac just blew up. We always had uprights, and fancied a Dyson next.
Until I read about them on Google groups (reliability problems).

...everyone seems to recommend cylinder vacs, typically Miele, and I see
that is what Which magazine seem to recommend.

Are cylinder vacs as good as uprights for carpets? what about the brush
(cylinder models don't have them, right?)?

What would you recommend?

We've had our dyson upright for the last 8 years and it has had no
problems at all. It does a terrific job and gets used a lot, we have
dogs in the house and the dog hairs build up if the carpets are not
vacced regularly. I wouldn't buy anything else now.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old October 15th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:09:24 +0100, andy
wrote:

Does it take more effort to use a
cylinder model on carpet (than an upright)?

Yes, we also have a George (manufactured by Pneumatics ) which was
bought because it comes with a superb professional upholstry and
carpet shampoo system. We use it upstairs intead of hauling the
upright up the stairs and I find it takes much more effort than the
upright, and then there is that pipe that is always in the way and
having to keep stopping to move the cylinder to where you want it, etc

(remove the spam to reply)

Old October 15th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:30:18 +0100, "David Klyne"
wrote:

Its much more difficult to choose a vacuum for the caravan - weak
attempt to keep on topic!!!!

Our dyson does a good job in the caravan as well, G

(remove the spam to reply)