12 volt supply problem

Old October 16th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default 12 volt supply problem

I have a Swift Challenger 470/2SE

I have had the van from new since 1992.It is sited with a permanent
mains supply, which is working perfectly.

This is the first electrical problem that I have ever had.

When we arrived at the van this weekend none of the equipment on the 12
volt supply was working. It was fine when we left the van the weekend
before.

When all 12 volt equipment is switched off the battery meter is in the
green showing a full 12 volt supply. When any 12 volt equipment is
switched on the meter goes into the red. No voltage.

An electrical test meter shows there is a supply 12 volt up to the
switch of all lights. When the light is switched on the voltage goes to
zero.

I do not have a battery connected and this has been fine. The battery
was disconnected last year as it would not hold a charge and everything
has worked perfectly for more than a year.

When the fluorescent lights are switched on they flash once and that's
all.
The spotlights do not come on at all.

All fuses are okay. I have removed the fuses one at a time to try to
isolate the problem. This changes nothing.

Can anyone tell me if it is the power supply unit that is faulty or any
other possible problem?

I am an electrician but I am not familiar with low voltage systems or
caravan problems. I didn't need to be until now!

Old October 16th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steptoe

"METWO" wrote in message
o.uk...
And you say you are an electrician !

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Of course not all electricians are experienced at fault finding!

Start from a known good supply point and work downhill; the mains unit will
incorporate a transformer to supply the 12v side; check the AC input and DC
output windings for continuitity. My *electricians nose* coupled with your
observations tells me that is where the problem lies.

BTW the battery will act as a smoothing device, too much load on the 12v
output could shorten transformer life

Old October 16th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bertrum flack

We have the same van, at times we also get this, nothing works, we have
found that 1 hour on full charge cures all, it seems after a while the
batteries cant cope and gives in but switching to charge cures it, could be
its our batteries but who knows, swift do have charging problems

Old October 16th 05, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

The problem is easy to solve. Just fit a decent battery, buy a new one they
are cheap enough. No LV supply in a caravan will work correctly without the
battery being connected. It acts as a smoothing capacitor and also supplies
large current demands from the equipment. Are you familiar with the 16th
edition wiring regulations? Unless you are you cannot really call yourself
an electrician. They contain the regulations for LV supplies such as are
fitted in caravans.

Halfords usually have a good stock of leisure batteries at very reasonable
prices.

All the best, Peter.

ps.com...

Old October 16th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:26:00 +0000 (UTC), "Peter K L Milnes"
wrote:

| The problem is easy to solve. Just fit a decent battery, buy a new one they
| are cheap enough. No LV supply in a caravan will work correctly without the
| battery being connected. It acts as a smoothing capacitor and also supplies
| large current demands from the equipment. Are you familiar with the 16th
| edition wiring regulations? Unless you are you cannot really call yourself
| an electrician. They contain the regulations for LV supplies such as are
| fitted in caravans.
|
| Halfords usually have a good stock of leisure batteries at very reasonable
| prices.

And this time remember to top the electrolyte up at monthly intervals, and
remember not to let it get dead flat at any time.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.