No to dry-cleaning curtains

Old October 18th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Another Dave

Default No to dry-cleaning curtains

I decided to dry-clean the curtains in my caravan. They're a sort of
velvety material with white liners. They have bits of Velcro and some
white/tranparent plastic strips with small balls which push into a
slotted rail in the caravan. The label says dry-clean only.

I took them to Johnsons cleaners and was told the heat used to recover
the dry-cleaning fluid would crack the plastic and I would have to sign
a release form. Fair enough, but I recoiled from doing this as they're
not that dirty.

Has anybody come across this or got an alternative cleaning method?

TIA

Another Dave
Old October 18th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I decided to dry-clean the curtains in my caravan. They're a sort of
velvety material with white liners. They have bits of Velcro and some
white/tranparent plastic strips with small balls which push into a
slotted rail in the caravan. The label says dry-clean only.

I took them to Johnsons cleaners and was told the heat used to recover
the dry-cleaning fluid would crack the plastic and I would have to sign
a release form. Fair enough, but I recoiled from doing this as they're
not that dirty.

Has anybody come across this or got an alternative cleaning method?

TIA

Another Dave

Years ago, I managed a dry cleaning shop (owned by Johnsons as it happens),
and yes, the heat can crack or even melt the plastic, although it may not do

Is it easy to take the strips off and re-attach them? If not, if they were
mine, I would wash them in water on a cool cycle, using washing liquid
instead of washing powder then drip dry them. Don't stuff too many curtains
in the washer. I would just wash 2 at a time

A lot of things that say 'dry clean only' are actually better washed in
water, believe it or not, but I won't bore you with the details as to why
that is!

Pete

Old October 18th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

In message , Pete
writes

[...]

At last I have found someone who can speak with authority on fabric
cleaning!

How would you deal with the cushion covers and mattress covers (both zip
off) which have no cleaning instructions given?
Would you recommend the same treatment?
--

Little John from Sherwood Forest!

Old October 19th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"John" wrote in message
In message , Pete
writes

[...]

Yes, I'd do exactly the same

Use a cool wash, don't stuff the machine too full, don't spin, and drip dry

Pete

Old October 19th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"John" wrote in message
In message , Pete
writes

Old October 19th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Pete" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
In message , Pete
writes

[...]

One thing I forgot to mention: if there's any mention of viscose on the
label (unlikely in your case), test a small area by dropping some water onto
it.

There are 2 kinds of viscose. One kind shrinks like mad immediately on
contact with water and the other kind doesn't shrink at all

Better to be safe than sorry

Pete

Old October 19th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

"Pete" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
In message , Pete
writes

Old October 19th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"John" wrote in message
In message , Pete
writes

[...]

When we bought our latest van, my wife insisted on washing the curtains
which were clearly maked 'dry clean only' they all shrunk!

Alan