Towing with a Van?

Old August 17th 03, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
XXXX

Default Towing with a Van?

We have just bought an Elddis Superstorm and would like to upgrade our
towing vehicle.

We really need space for 2 kids 2 very large dogs and luggage, so are
looking at something like a 3.5T Iveco Daily panel van. Would put in
an extra row of seats for the kids along with some windows.

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.
Old August 17th 03, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"XXXX" wrote in message
om...
We have just bought an Elddis Superstorm and would like to upgrade our
towing vehicle.

We really need space for 2 kids 2 very large dogs and luggage, so are
looking at something like a 3.5T Iveco Daily panel van. Would put in
an extra row of seats for the kids along with some windows.

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.

There shouldn't be any *physical* problems.

The most likely problem you'll encounter is that many sites will be
suspicious that you are "travellers" and may turn you away.

Roger

Old August 17th 03, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Alcock

"XXXX" wrote in message
om

We have just bought an Elddis Superstorm and would like to upgrade our
towing vehicle.

We really need space for 2 kids 2 very large dogs and luggage, so are
looking at something like a 3.5T Iveco Daily panel van. Would put in
an extra row of seats for the kids along with some windows.

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.

there should be no problems ,aerodynamically far better than a car , i
used to tow with my companies transit
only problems were por fuel economy and very few sites in the UK allow
units like that , we had a company week end in the Cotswolds 8 vans all
transits we were regarded as lepers
by all on site , few years ago i tried to join the CC they wouldnt even
acknowledge me when i spoke to the chap on the stand at the show one
year
when i mentioned i tow with a van , you wil have no problems on the
continent site owners over there can tell the difference between
travelers and tourist

Old August 17th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:21:19 +0000 (UTC), "John Alcock"
wrote:

few years ago i tried to join the CC they wouldnt even
acknowledge me when i spoke to the chap on the stand at the show one
year

I stayed on Crystal Palace CC site in July and there were a number of
white panel vans towing caravans on at the same time.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 18th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Haselhof

Why not make a few extra refinements/personal touches to your van so that it
doesn't get dragged into the travellers cliché!
"John Alcock" wrote in message
news:[email protected] .mailgate.org...
om

Old August 18th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

(XXXX) wrote in news:4d5b184c.0308171220.4e6edb37
@posting.google.com:

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.

I have two tow-vehicles, a Volvo 850 car and a Citroen Dispatch van. Of
the two, I prefer to tow with the Dispatch. Even though it is less
powerful, the 2.0 HDi engine is much more relaxing because it requires
fewer gear changes than the Volvo. With its very much shorter overhang,
the Dispatch has better stability when towing, even though it is
significantly lighter than the Volvo. Also, the Dispatch has an enormous
"boot", letting me transfer more weight from the caravan to the tug. For
me, except for the bigotry factor, towing with the Dispatch makes so much
sense.

I bought the van new and paid extra to have the towbar and twin electrics
fitted retrospectively. Unfortunately, I met my first example of campsite
owner bigotry on my first outing with the Dispatch. The proprietor's eyes
nearly bulged out of her head as she spluttered, "You have a commercial
vehicle?!" She would have turned me away with no refund of deposit.
However, I had made the booking over the phone and they forgot to tell me
that they did not allow commercial vehicles. My threat to invoke Trading
Standards and to pursue them via the courts for the deposit and
compensation for a ruined holiday changed their minds.

Since then, I've found that very few UK campsites accept van/caravan
combinations. However, many will let you on site to pitch and remove your
caravan while banning your van to a central carpark, or even from the
site itself, at other times.

Ironically, there are some commercial vehicles that most campsites accept
without batting an eyelid. These include double-cab pickups (Nissan
Navara, Ford Ranger, etc.), many window vans, and (of course) self-build
motorhomes that have yet to be re-registered.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old August 18th 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
LunnBelleyetere

Just watch out on the tax side. I know years ago if you put windows and seats
in a van you got clobered for extra tax.
Old August 18th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

(LunnBelleyetere) wrote in
:

Just watch out on the tax side. I know years ago if you put windows
and seats in a van you got clobered for extra tax.

I suspect that the extra tax to which you refer was car purchase tax --
which did not apply to vans and which was abolished some years ago. The
danger is now to company van drivers for who the taxable benefit in kind
can jump from £500 to over £6,000 at almost the taxman's whim. If you own
the company, this can give you a increase in tax liability of over
£3,000.

There's some recent moves to clobber more tax-payers for extra benefit in
kind. AIUI, the Inland Revenue now use almost the same criteria as the
VAT-man to determine whether a vehicle is a van for tax purposes. If the
vehicle is a double-cab pick-up with a payload of less than 1 tonne, it
is now a car for tax purposes.

There is a sneaky catch should you fit a hard-top to the vehicle. The new
rules subtract the mass of the hard top from the payload to give a
"payload for tax purposes", so a double-cab pick-up with a payload of
1050 kg suddenly becomes a car for tax purposes as soon as you fit a hard
top that weighs 51kg or more. (Presumably, it alternates between a van
and a car as you remove and replace the hard-top -- go figure!) If you're
in this trap, I suspect (but IANALNAA) that you'd be better off buying
the hard-top personally so that the vehicle as supplied to you is a van
for tax purposes. AIUI, the £1,000 or so for a Truckman top is soon
offset by tax savings.

I'm not too sure about the situation for panel vans. AIUI, you can put
windows in a van without changing its intended purpose, whereas fitting
extra seats changes it to dual-purpose and (I suspect with no proof or
guarantees) that the 1-tonne rule would apply.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old August 18th 03, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On 17 Aug 2003 13:20:21 -0700, (XXXX) wrote:

We have just bought an Elddis Superstorm and would like to upgrade our
towing vehicle.

We really need space for 2 kids 2 very large dogs and luggage, so are
looking at something like a 3.5T Iveco Daily panel van. Would put in
an extra row of seats for the kids along with some windows.

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.

[T] Again AFWIW, I thought there may be an issue with getting a
'converted' van insured to carry more than it's intended number of
passengers?

When I was going down this route myself it was suggested I bought say
a 'crewbus' or a 'minibus' and simply removed the unwanted seats to
carry more equipment?

On the topic of discrimination (and mentioned on this list a while
ago), we suffered the same thing when we (my Wife Daughter and I (on
two motorbikes and trailer) turned up to a campsite that had no
mention of 'no motorcycles' in the C&CC 'Big Book'. There was however
a large sign at the gate so we ended up just down the road at what was
deemed to be a better 'biker friendly' campsite?

I think the world is changing .. the discretion that used to be
offered by the Police when we strayed a few mph over the top is now
taken away by the Gatso camera. The 'discretion' used by some campsite
owners is now missing due to poor staff training and lack of genuine
interest?

We have used many C&CC sites whilst on motorcycles and we can only say
we have been made very welcome at all (including one site where the
owner supplied wooden pads for our side stands to rest on!). ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Khyam Micropack (m/cycle overnight for 1/2), McKinley (m/cycle long
weekend 2/3), Rigidome XL (2 week m/cycle family hols for 3) a Campus
Sherpa 4 (tandem + solo cycle camping 2/3) and the Rapido Confortmatic
(we are getting older g for 3-5!)
Old August 19th 03, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CHARLES HAMILTON SNR

With a 3.5tonne van I believe that you will be venturing into Tacho
territory if you intend towing anything resembling a trailer.Dodgy builders
have spoiled it for everyone!!
"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , XXXX
writes
We have just bought an Elddis Superstorm and would like to upgrade our
towing vehicle.

We really need space for 2 kids 2 very large dogs and luggage, so are
looking at something like a 3.5T Iveco Daily panel van. Would put in
an extra row of seats for the kids along with some windows.

Need to know if there would be any potential problems in towing with a
large panel van like this.

I often tow with an Autosleeper Trouper 2.5 petrol with auto box - a VW
Transporter with windows seats, grill, fridge, sink, seats in the back,
windows etc, etc.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid