Hitchlock frustration

Old August 17th 03, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Maddern

Default Hitchlock frustration

We've just got back into caravanning again with a new caravan after an
absence of several years. It really great to be back that there are some
frustrations.

My current one is trying to fit a hitchlock to protect the new van. It's an
AL-KO hitchlock and it seems to me that you need a PhD in Engineering to
read and understand the paper manual that came with it! It's awful. The
problem is it stored in a site twenty miles from home and I just can't
fathom it out at all. Under the terms of the insurance, we are not fully
insured unless both a wheel clamp and hitchlock are fitted, so I need to get
the hitchlock fitted without delay.

We picked up the van from the dealer late on a Friday. We bought lots of
extras including a wheel clamp and hitchlock but presumably because it was
late on Friday, they were in a hurry to get home and didn't think two give
advice to us about fitting the hitchlock.

What's everyone's experience on this? Have you all fitted your own
hitchlocks without any problem all have you had help?

Peter

North Wales

Old August 17th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:30:57 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Maddern"
wrote:

What's everyone's experience on this? Have you all fitted your own
hitchlocks without any problem all have you had help?

I bought an Alko hitchlock to go on my Alko 2004 hitch when I bought
the van in February, it fits like a dream, though it is sometimes a
bit fiddly getting the key to turn since the lock needs to be in just
the right place.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 18th 03, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Peter Maddern" wrote in message
[...]

I have an Al-Ko hitchlock and can't understand why you need instructions
anyway .... it is obvious how my one fits
Richard

---

Old August 18th 03, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Arc Systems

I had a problem at first with a 1300, because I didn't see the 'claws' at
the tow head end of the lock head. The trick is to roll the lock head into
place, (hold the lock at an angle of about 20 deg, front end down.) This way
the claws will slip underneath where they fit and allow the lock to roll
down into the correct postion over the mating brackets at the rearward end .
I hope that makes things a little clearer?