[ng_abuse] Message-ID: [email protected]

Old October 22nd 05, 04:08 PM posted to demon.local,uk.local.yorkshire,uk.rec.caravanning
STIYPASI

Default [ng_abuse] Message-ID: [email protected]

Subject: [ng_abuse] OK, so...

Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:28:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Wednesday, in article

"Ian D" wrote:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:57:30 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

Anyhow, like I said, it's going to take time. First ulym has got to be
something like stable and vibrant then I'll see what the effects of a
few cross-posts into uly are.

I like your idea, but I take it you're contemplating a brand new
moderated group as the 'base' group, and not intending to use say
ulym?
Don't think that would go down at all well.

I would eventually like to open up cross-posting between ulym and uly
to see what happens then take it from there.

A group designed specifically for the purpose with a far stricter
moderation policy would be ideal.

Also I don't think it would be too long before the trolls cottoned on,
and simply removed the moderated group from their replies.
I suppose that would still allow anyone interested to continue
following the thread in the moderated group, without being bothered by
the trolls drivel, but the other groups wouldn't end up much better
off themselves, as I see it.

The idea is that the threads continue in the moderated group with
no regard to the unmoderated group at all. Nothing the trolls did
in the unmoderated group would even be noticed in the moderated
group.

This is, of course, exactly the same tactics as the trolls use when
they cross-post flame wars in the alt.* hierarchy into uk groups.

One possibility is that it might at least allow more people to judge
how a moderated group could function and perhaps remove some of the
doubts that are currently being expressed.

There's an argument going on in the caravanning group at the moment,
and it's obvious the majority are against moderation.
The objectors are all of the opinion that the group can be made
readable by the use of kill-files etc.
This is true enough, but no-one seems to want to take on board the
problem that usenet faces in attracting new users when the first thing
they see, before heading for the exit, is the spite and abuse
currently evident.
I guess what everyone needs really is about six years experience of
usenet before they access it.

I don't know the circumstances in urc or the nature of the trolling so
I can't offer an opinion. I would say that moderation in a discussion
group should be seen as a last resort and only considered after
persistant prolonged abuse. I will also say that I would be very much
against moderation on content in a discussion group.

õçîd