how to get rid of the stupid postings on the group

Old October 25th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
flybywire

Default how to get rid of the stupid postings on the group

The invasion of crap can simply be removed by selecting each message and
then click on tools and then click on block sender .

Hey presto gone

cheers

Old October 25th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:12:30 GMT, "flybywire"
wrote:

The invasion of crap can simply be removed by selecting each message and
then click on tools and then click on block sender .

Hey presto gone

cheers

Until the next time, more easily removed before it is downloaded by
using a small program called newsproxy, which downloads the headers
and then filters out all messages that are crossposted.

I posted this message in January 2004 in reply to one on this group,
though please note that newsproxy is now not available at the site
mentioned in in, it is however avaialble from
http://www.nfilter.org/download.html

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:24:57 -0000, "Steve W..." wrote:

Can you post up an idiots guide of how to do this please.

I posted this message earlier this week, trust me it works. You will get virtually nothing in that you have to filter at all.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:12:51 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:48:20 +0000 (UTC), "PacC"
wrote:

| Can anyone explain in "easy to follow" steps how to block cross posting
| N/Gs. Is it easy to block posts with more than 3 N/Gs?I am using outlook
| express which I gather isn't the best.
| Simple directions would be greatly appreciated as I am sick of the trolls.

Nothing is easy :-(
If as you are using OE nfilter/News proxy http://www.nfilter.org/ should
work.

Dave's recommendation of newsproxy is a solution to crossposters, they just disappear. He was the one whose recommedation I first followed but couldnot set it up to work. I then got infomation from Ian D who suggested the following links

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

This is much easier to see what you are doing with it. To set it up to get rid of all the croos posts that have been arriving in this group for the past 48 hours or so ( I've not seen them but I know they have been there ) just look on the edit menu and edit filters by placing the following line at the bottom of the file.

uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*

In addition as I use Agent all I needed to do was to copy the name of the newserver I use into the relevant place on the networks tab of the newsproxy configuration section ( on the edit menu ) and then change the newserver in my copy of Agent to localhost. result not one piece of rubbish received since christmas. I see the number of headers that are available when Agent logs in and then compare it with the number of messages that it actually downloads and the difference is the rubbish. I know that last night it offered me something like 350 messages of which my setup only downloaded about 50 all relevant and all about caravans.

The following was posted in December about how to set it up to use in OE. The relevant thread is 2Filtering using OE and newsproxy "

2.1 How do I install nfilter?
Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using
InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run
the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.

For most purposes, the only information you need to change in the
configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has
automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select
"programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before you
use NewsProxy you should confired the name of your news server in the
configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (eg. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote
server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different
local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6

Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..

Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab, enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but
keep 'log on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the
standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host
name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',
which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

my thanks again to Dave Fawthrop for suggesting newsproxy in the first place and to Ian D for giving me a slightly different slant.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 25th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Old October 25th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:33:50 +0100, bill lord wrote:

| http://www.nfilter.org/download.html

Which it is reported does not work on WindozeXP :-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Old October 25th 05, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 25th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:46:09 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

| http://www.nfilter.org/download.html

Which it is reported does not work on WindozeXP :-)

I can say with absolute assurance that it does work with Xindows XP, I
have been using it on Windows XP ever since I installed it in January
2004. It works a treat.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old October 25th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Old October 25th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:53:37 +0100, bill lord wrote:

| On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:46:09 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| | http://www.nfilter.org/download.html
|
| Which it is reported does not work on WindozeXP :-)
|
| I can say with absolute assurance that it does work with Xindows XP, I
| have been using it on Windows XP ever since I installed it in January
| 2004. It works a treat.

Thanks
Old October 25th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:53:37 +0100, bill lord wrote:

| On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:46:09 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| | http://www.nfilter.org/download.html
|
| Which it is reported does not work on WindozeXP :-)
|
| I can say with absolute assurance that it does work with Xindows XP, I
| have been using it on Windows XP ever since I installed it in January
| 2004. It works a treat.

Thanks