Winterising

Old October 26th 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Lake

Default Winterising

Dear All,

I'm sure this request comes around every year. What do other members of this
group do to winterise their vans. Just returned from Penrhynbay in Anglesey
and had a wonderful, if not blustery time.
To start the ball rolling: -
Empty the toilet flush
Empty the hot water tank

I've also removed as much as I can from inside lockers and opened every door
to allow the air to circulate.

Is it a good idea to put windows on night lock if under cover?

Someone suggested removing the cushions, less fabric to store moiture, can
this make a difference?

What about these moisture absorbing crystals, do they make a difference?

Steve

Old October 26th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:06:22 +0100, "Steve Lake" wrote:

| Dear All,
|
| I'm sure this request comes around every year. What do other members of this
| group do to winterise their vans. Just returned from Penrhynbay in Anglesey
| and had a wonderful, if not blustery time.
| To start the ball rolling: -
| Empty the toilet flush
| Empty the hot water tank
|
| I've also removed as much as I can from inside lockers and opened every door
| to allow the air to circulate.
|
| Is it a good idea to put windows on night lock if under cover?
|
| Someone suggested removing the cushions, less fabric to store moiture, can
| this make a difference?
|
| What about these moisture absorbing crystals, do they make a difference?

Mine is on the drive plugged into mains, with small heaters thermostated to
about 7 deg C, which costs almost nothing. Every month or so I turn the
thermostat up to 20 deg C for a day or two. It is ready for a planned
trip to Southport in Mid November, or wherever we choose to go. All I
really have to do is check the electrolyte level in the battery every month
or so.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Old October 26th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 26th 05, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:22:55 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Mine is on the drive plugged into mains, with small heaters thermostated to
about 7 deg C, which costs almost nothing.

What heaters do you use, Dave?

--

Paul Rooney

Old October 26th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I don't winterise I use it all year round its great fun, loads of sites open
bonfires, new year etc, its a great country why not visit some of our cities
? Cardiff has a great site in the city itself. Come to the Midlands Stanmore
is open( black country museum great at xmas) Derbyshire, try Rivendale, no
crowds cheap site fees and lots of good fun, museums , parks, walks,
shopping infact most things apart from sitting on a beach. We had a SNOW-B-Q
one year what a laugh that was !!!!!!!! everyone thought we had lost our
marbles.

--
Tim Pace, CeMAP
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old October 26th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:48:26 +0100, Paul Rooney wrote:

| On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:22:55 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| Mine is on the drive plugged into mains, with small heaters thermostated to
| about 7 deg C, which costs almost nothing.
|

| What heaters do you use, Dave?

Knowing that you are not technical, no comment, you could not fit them.
I have just been down to B&Q and seen for sale some thermostated electric
convection heaters at GBP 14-20. For a small van 1KW will be fine, 1kw
will keep my van at 20 deg C when it is freezing outside. For a big van
1kw will keep it at 7 deg C.
Old October 26th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old October 26th 05, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:49:28 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:48:26 +0100, Paul Rooney wrote:

| On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:22:55 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| Mine is on the drive plugged into mains, with small heaters thermostated to
| about 7 deg C, which costs almost nothing.
|

| What heaters do you use, Dave?

Knowing that you are not technical, no comment, you could not fit them.

Ha ha! Very true!

I have just been down to B&Q and seen for sale some thermostated electric
convection heaters at GBP 14-20. For a small van 1KW will be fine, 1kw
will keep my van at 20 deg C when it is freezing outside. For a big van
1kw will keep it at 7 deg C.

Too heavy on eleccy to leave on though - I'd need the electric
equivalent of those little oil heaters you get for the greenhouse.
--

Paul Rooney