Advise on buying used caravan

Old October 27th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
White Stork

Default Advise on buying used caravan

Hello,

I am looking at buying a used van but my budget will only go to around
£1,250, i see there are stacks advertised on ebay but i really dont feel
confident enough to buy from an online auction.

We are only looking for something basic and wondered if anyone has piked up
a cheap van around that price that could give us some pointers or are there
any reliable companies that sell vans in that price range?

Everywhere i look there seems to be very little available unless you have a
decent budget.

Thanks for any tips!

Annette

Old October 27th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:11:24 +0100, "White Stork" wrote:

Hello,

I am looking at buying a used van but my budget will only go to around
£1,250, i see there are stacks advertised on ebay but i really dont feel
confident enough to buy from an online auction.

We are only looking for something basic and wondered if anyone has piked up
a cheap van around that price that could give us some pointers or are there
any reliable companies that sell vans in that price range?

Everywhere i look there seems to be very little available unless you have a
decent budget.

There are lots of dealers that sell older caravans from about £500 to
£1200, but I looked at scores of them, possibly more, and found almost
all to be tatty or dirty or damp. Some - not even at the lower end of
that scale - were fit only for burning! You certainly don't want damp,
but if you can accept tatty or dirty you will have no trouble finding
one. I didn't see a single one that I would have bought though.

But your better option - *much* better - is to look at private ads
online or in caravan/accessory shops, or magazines, and be very fussy.

Be wary too - I found a few caravans obviously misdescribed (generally
in regard to age).

After a couple of months looking around I saw an ad in the local
accessory shop, placed by an oldish couple who had kept their caravan
in beautiful condition - so much so that I was amazed at the
difference between it and all others I'd seen. They were asking £750,
and I didn't haggle. It was worth that money, no question. They were
extremely helpful too.

It's bone dry and everything works, and several experienced
caravanners have since informed me that it was one of the quality
caravans of its day. Obviously there are a few spots of wear and
tear, but all very, very minor.

--

Paul Rooney

Old October 27th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I am looking at buying a used van but my budget will only go to around
£1,250, i see there are stacks advertised on ebay but i really dont feel
confident enough to buy from an online auction.

Find someone with experience who can guide you.
Rotten timber in the frame makes any caravan virtually worthless.
Should be able to find something decent (oldie but goodie) at that price.
Look at the corners, especially in the wall and storage lockers.
Discolouration of timber cover strips. Sogginess around window and door
frames. Musty smell.
Surprisingly, a springy floor isn't necessarily the end,can be repaired for
about £50. (Not if it's caused by damp though).
DaveK.

Old October 28th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

yup, go private. damp is the killer. you REALLY don't want to go there!!

The best detector is your nose. there is a musty smell with damp ply. ANY
spongyness in the walls around windows, corners, in lockers, under seats and
just walk away. There are 100s to choose from.

I was looking for a 6 berth. hen's teeth & rocking horse poo is more
common, but after viewing 6 or 7 we found a goodie. now at 16 she's getting
a bit tired, but we'll get another year out of her I hope!! off to Gosford
Co Armagh tonight ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I was looking for a 6 berth. hen's teeth & rocking horse poo is more
common, but after viewing 6 or 7 we found a goodie. now at 16 she's
getting
a bit tired, but we'll get another year out of her I hope!! off to Gosford
Co Armagh tonight ;-)

Have fun.
My pal searched for ages for a five/six berth with a good size rear dinette
area (to make a decent double bed).
Bought off eBay last June for £6200. 1999 Compass Kensington, with all
equipment including quality full size and porch awnings(unused). I towed it
back from the storage site-a disused airfield, near Bridgend and the girls
(wouldn't you know) found evidence of damp at the rear offside corner locker
and wardrobe ceiling where the heater exhaust pipe goes through.
Luckily it wasn't too bad and was serviced and repaired for £400. Three year
warranty. Recommend the service outfit-Tern caravan repairs at Queensferry
near Chester.
The sellers were adamant that there was no damp when we asked on eBay, but
they hadn't been near it for two years.
DaveK