OS map co-ordinates to something useful?

Old August 18th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default OS map co-ordinates to something useful?

Hi All,

I was woindering if there was an easy / accurate way of converting the
(to me and being mainly electronically guided these days) obscure OS
Map Number / 6 digit code to something more universial my GPS might
take as input?

On the C&CC sites they quote the Map Ref (eg Sandringham) as
132/683274 but is it possible to convert that into Lat Long or similar
please?

I was also looking for maybe a Palm III free (or buy if I must g)
downloadable converter?

All the best ..

T i m
Old August 18th 03, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JayDee

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:28:23 +0100, T i m wrote:

| Hi All,
|
| I was woindering if there was an easy / accurate way of converting the
| (to me and being mainly electronically guided these days) obscure OS
| Map Number / 6 digit code to something more universial my GPS might
| take as input?
|
| On the C&CC sites they quote the Map Ref (eg Sandringham) as
| 132/683274 but is it possible to convert that into Lat Long or similar
| please?

Some GPS units are able to use a selection of reference systems. I thought
that the OS Grid reference system was one of them - but I may well be
mistaken. (I don't have a GPS ... yet. Still working on it with the missus
:-) - she can't see the need (NEED???) but then she's a pretty fair map
reader, though she does get a bit queasy map reading around the country
lanes.)
I'll get one eventually, he said wistfully.

ATB

JayDee

Old August 18th 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

I was woindering if there was an easy / accurate way of converting the
(to me and being mainly electronically guided these days) obscure OS
Map Number / 6 digit code to something more universial my GPS might
take as input?

On the C&CC sites they quote the Map Ref (eg Sandringham) as
132/683274 but is it possible to convert that into Lat Long or similar
please?

I was also looking for maybe a Palm III free (or buy if I must g)
downloadable converter?

All the best ..

T i m

I would have expected most GPS's to accept OS Grid References as one form of
input - my elderly Garmin GPS38 certainly does.

Howerver, the reference you quote for Sandringham doesn't look like an OS
reference to me. This should be either two letters followed by 6 or 8 digits
(depending on the precision) or just 10 digits. What you've got looks like a
sheet number and a partial reference - which is no use to man or beast -
unless you happen to have that particular sheet.

Roger

Old August 19th 03, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:22:17 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:28:23 +0100, T i m wrote:

| Hi All,
|
| I was woindering if there was an easy / accurate way of converting the
| (to me and being mainly electronically guided these days) obscure OS
| Map Number / 6 digit code to something more universial my GPS might
| take as input?
|
| On the C&CC sites they quote the Map Ref (eg Sandringham) as
| 132/683274 but is it possible to convert that into Lat Long or similar
| please?

Use an Ordnance Survey Map. They all used Grid referances.

The problem with Latitude and longtitude is that the world is an oblate
spheroid (a squashed ball) and so they do not translate into miles or
kilometres in any reasonable way. Working out the distance and direction
between two points is far from trivial.

Dave F

[T] Hi Dave,

I hope things are ok with you and thanks for the reply.

I think I do still have some maps but they are little help in the dark
on the back of a motorcycle or in the rain etc!

I have been using a Garmin GPS III+ and now a V for the last 5 or so
years and wouldn't leave home without it! In fact, due to the number
of rows my lady love and I used to have over map reading it makes the
GPS a painless option! (So much so that as we leave the house *she*
checks I have the GPS with me!).

My problem was pinning C&CC sites down onto the GPS PC prog. I have
since found you can select British OS grid (how quaint) and by playing
with the numbers I can actually get a waypoint quite near. (Though I'm
not quite sure why I can't do it again ..?)

Normally and for a 'real address' (unlike "The Sandringham Estate,
Double Lodges" etc?) I can simply enter the house number, street name
and town or postcode and it routes me to the door!

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m
Old August 19th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

In message , Roger Mills
writes

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, it isn't. The C&CC insist on putting there reference from their
"Rangefinder"(?) series of maps where the first figures are the sheet
number and not eh OS reference.

I use MS Autoroute and have exactly the same problem in locating a
reference.

I have asked them (very politely and nicely) if they would use proper OS
references but my requests have fell on deaf ears.

This was the subject of a thread about a year or two ago.
--
John Bradbury

Old August 19th 03, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Lander

Hi All,
I was woindering if there was an easy / accurate way of converting the
(to me and being mainly electronically guided these days) obscure OS
Map Number / 6 digit code to something more universial my GPS might
take as input?
On the C&CC sites they quote the Map Ref (eg Sandringham) as
132/683274 but is it possible to convert that into Lat Long or similar
please?
I was also looking for maybe a Palm III free (or buy if I must g)
downloadable converter?
All the best ..
T i m

Hope this helps.
If you visit www.streetmap.co.uk and punch in :-
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...327130&A=Y&Z=3
you will see that the arrow points to both of the club sites.
Now if you look below the map and do as it ask's
"click here to convert/measure coordinates" I think you will find what
you need.
I must add that I am not a "GPS" user.

Pete
(Looking north towards the Crooked Spire)
http://www.mountainactivitysection.org.uk

Old August 19th 03, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

No, it isn't. The C&CC insist on putting there reference from their
"Rangefinder"(?) series of maps where the first figures are the sheet
number and not eh OS reference.

I use MS Autoroute and have exactly the same problem in locating a
reference.

I have asked them (very politely and nicely) if they would use proper OS
references but my requests have fell on deaf ears.

This was the subject of a thread about a year or two ago.
--
John Bradbury

I was taught to use map references on the Cadet Force using 6 digit numbers
together with the original 1" OS maps. And that is what was used when I
started rallying in the early sixties. Using the 2.5" maps in the car just
wasn't practical due to having to shuffle the maps around continuously -
cost also came into it. Both driver and navigator had to be adept at reading
a reference in the form of the C & CC except that the map number would be
left off. As a result I have never had problems finding a site using the
latter's site guide and quite frankly can't see the need for an eight digit
code - do you really need to be able to identify a site to within 10 metres
on the map?

Old August 19th 03, 06:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

You are missing the point!

When C&CC use the OS Rangefinder the insist on using the sheet number as
opposed to the grid letters. All other systems use the grid letters!

In message , bowtiejim
writes

Old August 19th 03, 06:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:00:01 +0100, T i m wrote:

| I think I do still have some maps but they are little help in the dark
| on the back of a motorcycle or in the rain etc!

You tow a caravan with a motorcycle?
Tell us more!

Dave F
Old August 19th 03, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:59:58 +0100, "JayDee"
wrote:

Some GPS units are able to use a selection of reference systems. I thought
that the OS Grid reference system was one of them - but I may well be
mistaken. (I don't have a GPS ... yet. Still working on it with the missus
:-) - she can't see the need (NEED???) but then she's a pretty fair map
reader, though she does get a bit queasy map reading around the country
lanes.)
I'll get one eventually, he said wistfully.

ATB

JayDee

Hi Mate,

Well, I'd have to say as a bit of an electronics fan the Garmin GPS
III+ and then the V are my best bit of kit ever.

I don't like driving / riding any more as the roads round here (Nth
London) are just so conjested. So, when I do venture out on the
cycles, motorcycles or car the V fills in the information that more
roadwork would have given me?

And my missus too get's queezy (or has the wrong glasses on etc) and
the 12yr old daughter can only remain focused when acting as my
pillion mapreader (we have an intercom) for so long.

So, a few mins in front of the PC getting some ide of the journey,
adding some waypoints and downloading them to the GPS and plonk it on
whatever vehicle (it's small and waterproof) and follow the prompts
.... 300 miles later arrive at the campsite gates with no wrong turns
and the comfort that you are going in the right direction for the
whole journey! ;-)

Add to that the ability to get it to tell you the nearest petrol
station (including the choice of brand!), hospital, food etc etc.
Riding the motorbikes through Wales it was interesting to note the
altitude .. and the 'eta' is an invaluable aid. As soon as the GPS
predicts you won't make your destination at the alloted time you can
ring ahead and make other arrangements? We have even used it to find
the car when parking in backstreets in an unknown town! As you leave
the car you simply 'mark' the waypoint and switch the unit off. When
you want to find the car simply switch it back on and select goto,
waypoint, car, direct route and follow the pointer!

Tell you wife from me ... you do *need* one!

(Or get my missus to tell yours!)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Dear Father christmas ... ;-)