that red plug!

Old November 1st 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nigel Crompton

Default that red plug!

Am I the only one who has difficulty extracting the red plug from a
'vans cold water system drain ? The whole thing came off in my hand on
Sunday morning, so at the moment I just have a bit of pipe sticking
out the bottom of the 'van.

As we use the 'van all thro' winter, at least once a month I have to
remove said plug to drain the system down after use. And I find it a
right pig!

Has anyone replaced their drain bung with a tap of some sort? if so,
what, where?

Cheers 'n' Beers
Old November 1st 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Nigel Crompton said the following on 01/11/2005 18:34:
Am I the only one

Has anyone replaced their drain bung with a tap of some sort? if so,
what, where?

Cheers 'n' Beers

I drilled out the red plug a few years ago and glued in a wine maker's
tap - cheapo plastic thing used when syphoning into bottles etc. So now
its a quick 1/2 turn open to drain, and leave open until the next time
the system is filled ( I often forget to close it! - remembering only
when the pump continues to run)

Roy

Old November 2nd 05, 05:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steptoe

"Roy" wrote in message
Nigel Crompton said the following on 01/11/2005 18:34:
Am I the only one

Has anyone replaced their drain bung with a tap of some sort? if so,
what, where?

Cheers 'n' Beers

I replaced a similar fitting on my motorhome with a stopvalve from a
plumbers merchant, unfortunately don't know the trade terminology for this
item, but it is an inch inside diameter with an approx 3" long lever handle
which turns through 90 degrees to open/close. Obviously made out of
non-rusting metal and both ends had an outside thread, so relatively easy to
fix and attach an extension hose to, if required.

One of the best mods I've made, just sold the van but will certainly fit the
same to the next one.

Old November 5th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ work

Am I the only one who has difficulty extracting the red plug from a
'vans cold water system drain ? The whole thing came off in my hand on
Sunday morning, so at the moment I just have a bit of pipe sticking
out the bottom of the 'van.

You can buy a shut off valve that will fit right onto the the 12mm pipe,
they cost around 7.99 and can be found on the W4 accessory stand in most
caravan shops.

Mark