Vehicle recovery service doubles my bill...2 months after the recovery!!! Claims I was informed...is this legal?

Old November 2nd 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
severalgrand

Default Vehicle recovery service doubles my bill...2 months after the recovery!!! Claims I was informed...is this legal?

I would be grateful if anyone can help with this one -

I'm a member of green flag recovery (it's just like the AA but
available to people with heavier vehicles)

In Aug I called them because I got my camper-van stuck in some loose
ground. They sent a local vehicle recovery service (presumably a local
mechanic under contract to them) who pulled my vehicle back onto the
road.

They asked for 150 pounds for this, which I paid.

However, now, some two months later, the local recovery business has
just sent me a bill requesting I pay a further 160 pounds.

They say this is because they have been told by Green Flag that I was
not covered for this service since I got the vehicle stuck through my
own fault.

They state that I was informed of this fact and the extra costs at the
time by Green Flag when I made my initial phone call requesting help.

I cannot remember whether this is true - though they say that Green
Flag have a recording of this telephone conversation.

I am annoyed at having to pay such a large sum which I did not expect
to have to pay, and so long after the service was performed, and
because, apparently a mistake was made by the person drawing up my
bill.

Also, I can't help feeling that 150 pounds should be sufficient
payment for about 10 minutes work and 50 minutes traveling time. 310
seems a bit excessive.

Obviously, one step I can take is to ask for a copy of the recording
of
my initial phone call in which it is alleged that I was informed that
would have to pay more than 150.
(They may not in reality be in possession of such a recording I
suppose)

However, I am also wondering if there are other legal reasons why it
is
not possible for someone performing a service to present a revised
bill
of more than twice the original amount because they have made a
mistake
in drawing up the bill???

Thanks in advance if you have any experience of something like this and
can help or shed any light on the legality of this!!?!?!

regards
Several

Old November 2nd 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

They asked for 150 pounds for this, which I paid.

However, now, some two months later, the local recovery business has
just sent me a bill requesting I pay a further 160 pounds.

I'm not myself understanding these charges.
You got into trouble and as a Green Flag member you rang for help. If you
and they thought you were covered you would not have paid and been asked to
pay the recovery firm 150. I assume you paid the company at time of
recovery and understood that you were not covered by Green Flag in this
incident.

As you paid the amount quoted, to me that's the end of it.

This recovery company will be Green Flags agent I would therefore send his
account for 160 to GF and tell them you are being asked for more than the
amount agreed.

Also read your terms and conditions of your particular GF cover, if you are
covered for this type of off road incident then ask for your 150 back.

If not covered get them to cover you by changing your cover, or change to
another company.

Please reply to News Group

Old November 2nd 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
severalgrand

David wrote:
[...]

I don't fully understand the charges either.
I presume some of the money is considered to be due to Green Flag,
some of it to the agent who performed the recovery.

Green Flag themselves are not pursuing any money, perhaps they got the
150 pounds I originally paid.

So I presume it is the agent that is unhappy.
They are now pursuing 160 pounds off me that they thought could be
claimed off Green Flag, but which they are refusing to pay because
apparently I was not covered for getting myself stuck in loose ground
through my own fault - AND it was considered the responsibility of the
agent who actually dealt with me to collect the full amount when they
billed me.

Ok,it seems that Green Flag are offering some support to the agent by
stating that they have a recording of my initial call to them, in which
it is claimed this larger payment which is due was explained??? But
they are doing no more.

The question I would really like to know is...am I legally bound to pay
this extra money, just because it was (allegedly) explained to me that
I would have to pay this, that and the other fee to get the recovery
(though I'm pretty sure that precise sums were NOT mentioned in the
call, even if it was stated that I would be subject to XYZ charges).

I would have thought that I would be legally bound to pay the amount I
was billed by for the recovery by the people who were responsible for
billing me.

It doesn't seem right to me to have to pay an additional 160 two months
later because they did not fulfil their responsibility to bill me
appropriately.

I guess I will have to seek some legal advice.

Though if anyone has a clear idea of the rights and wrongs of this, I'd
be interested to hear...

cheers
Several

Old November 2nd 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"severalgrand" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would be grateful if anyone can help with this one -

I'm a member of green flag recovery (it's just like the AA but
available to people with heavier vehicles)

In Aug I called them because I got my camper-van stuck in some loose
ground. They sent a local vehicle recovery service (presumably a local
mechanic under contract to them) who pulled my vehicle back onto the
road.

I'm with Green Flag through Saga. Your query caused me to read the policy
booklet more fully than the usual glance.
I thnk you are covered under their general terms. There is an exclusion in
respect of vehicles used for and/or involved in motor racing, off road use
(away from public roads and over rough terrain), rallies, speed or duration
tests or practising for such events. Green Flag are aware that a
camper/caravan might occoasionally be found off road. I'd speak to them and
send them the correspondence from the claimant. Still wondering why you paid
the tow truck guy 150-unless you only have basic car cover from Green Flag
and the assistance was provided outside of your contracted cover.
DaveK.

Old November 2nd 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"davek" wrote in message

.. Green Flag are aware that a
camper/caravan might occoasionally be found off road.

Recently my friend had a caravan problem after entering the rally field. He
struck a piece of concrete that was hardly visiable, thr remains of a
building that had once stood on the field. GF came and resuced his caravan
at no further charge.

Please reply to News Group

Old November 3rd 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

[...]

Now for a longish reply....

I work for a local recovery firm, and your Membership does not cover being
winched out of loose ground/ ditches or whatever! It is breakdown cover,
not accident cover, thats down to your insurance. assuming the vehicle was
driveable after it and wasn't been recovered to be repaired. None of the
breakdown companies cover that, unless it is being claimed as an accident
when your Insurance company pays.

The garage will have been paid for the call out , they should have checked
that the vehicle was roadworthy after the ' accident' because in the
companies eyes that's exactly what it was.
All the companies AA, RAC etc have all tightened up what they do for your
membership, things like lost keys, wrong fuel (expect a bill of 200+)
taken to a local garage, and thats it!!

When you phone in and explain the incident all the companies will make you
aware of the fact there could be extra charges (special equipment is what
it's named, winch etc) That's because they don't want the company that goes
out shouting at them because the member may not be aware of the charges!!

Now I charge on the difficulty of the recover of the vehicle. because none
of the breadown companies will pay us for extra time or winchwork Once the
winch is off the vehicle it is chargeable, and the extra cost is purely
down to the difficulty of the job 150 is the top end of the price (without
needing to bring in a crane!!!)

Now if it had been a simple job as in pulling a Caravan off a standing and
they had been a Mayday member I MAY not have charged, it would have
depended a lot on the circumstances. But that comes down to the fact I have
a caravan, I am a member of CC and as the man on the ground I have to assess
the job (also depends on the attitude of the member!!!!!) Remember you have
a Vehicle that may have cost 30K upwards with all the equipment and
(hopefully) someone that is trained coming to pull you out of somehere that
you have got yourself into.

I would first speak to Mayday assuming you are with the CC (Direct Line
are the call Handlers not the insurers) and confirm that the garage have
been paid for the call out, explaining you have had a letter demanding more
money. An extra 160 seems to be very steep assuming we have been given all
the facts.

If garage would have been paid for the original call out (If you hadn't been
covered they wouldn't have come out to you!!) , I would have expected
getting a bill from Mayday for any charges that your membership didn't cover
not from the garage..

After all that if you are with Direct line the cover is certainly not as
good as with Mayday.

Des