local caravanners membership dropping drastically!

Old November 3rd 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
emma J

Default local caravanners membership dropping drastically!

Hi - I was looking through some 'club history ' today. A newspaper from 1997
when our club had 100 members. We now have 43 members. How on earth can it
have dropped so much in 7 years? Where are we going wrong?
I myself have only been a member for 2 years and on the committee 18
months. We have set up a website, started a quarterly newsletter and placed
an advert in A.C.C.E.O magazine. What more can we do? www.erfccc.co.uk
Please advise. Any advise would be helpful before it drops to less than 30
members and then none!
Thanking you all in advance - Emma.

Old November 3rd 05, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"emma J" wrote in message
Hi - I was looking through some 'club history ' today. A newspaper from
1997
when our club had 100 members. We now have 43 members. How on earth can it
have dropped so much in 7 years? Where are we going wrong?

I'm a member of a caravan club like your self.
I find numbers slowly dropping and the membership that rally are more and
more retired people like myself.
When I joined 30 years ago a rally was really cheap in a farmers field
compared with commercial sites.
To day the difference is small, possibly because we all have caravans with
features that demand 230v electricity.
Petrol was a lot cheaper then and we would think nothing of a 2 hour drive
after work on a friday evening just for 2 nights away.

Please reply to News Group

Old November 3rd 05, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:49:20 -0000, "emma J"
wrote:

Hi - I was looking through some 'club history ' today. A newspaper from 1997
when our club had 100 members. We now have 43 members. How on earth can it
have dropped so much in 7 years? Where are we going wrong?
I myself have only been a member for 2 years and on the committee 18
months. We have set up a website, started a quarterly newsletter and placed
an advert in A.C.C.E.O magazine. What more can we do? www.erfccc.co.uk
Please advise. Any advise would be helpful before it drops to less than 30
members and then none!
Thanking you all in advance - Emma.

Your website could do with a bit more info - such as your location -
when you replace it with the new one. If they're like me, people would
much rather see all the info on the website rather than emailing for
details. Where are you in S Cheshire? Do you have meetings in a local
pub? Are you losing members to the Caravan Club or the Camping and
Caravan Club, who also do local rallies?
Do Harringtons have a noticeboard? If so, a prominent poster there
might help.
--

Paul Rooney

Old November 3rd 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sarah and Lloyd

Forgive me for putting my idle thoughts in to the debate, but you have left
a few messages on here pleading for new members whilst only recently you
actually explained what the club was about. Its only also recently that
youve put a little more info on your website. I think it is like anything,
if you wish to create a demand then you need to employ effective marketing
techniques and ideas.

Have you formed links with vintage truck societies for instance as you would
all have a common interest. Perhpas a little more work on th website would
make people want to find out more.

Your club sounds very closed shop as it has come about specifically around
the erf truck plant, perhaps that in itself puts people off as they may
think they would fel like "outsiders"

These are just thoughts from a tired bloke whose baby wakes up too early
and who will be driving 400 miles for a weekend in cornwall tomorrow... but
perhaps a acorn of a idea may be contained in my ramblings!

Lloyd