Spare tyre/wheel

« - | - »

Old November 13th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy Forster

Default Spare tyre/wheel

I ahve left my Swift Challenger in store for the winter - many miles away
and want to locate a second-hand spare wheel. The van is circa 1987 and has
a twin-wheel base. The size of the tyres is 155 R13 78S and I have seen some
for sale on Ebay. They are on Ford Escort or Vauxhall wheel rims. Does
anyone know if these wheels would fit directly on the caravan?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Roy

Old November 13th 05, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Roy Forster wrote:

I ahve left my Swift Challenger in store for the winter - many miles
away and want to locate a second-hand spare wheel. The van is circa
1987 and has a twin-wheel base. The size of the tyres is 155 R13 78S
and I have seen some for sale on Ebay. They are on Ford Escort or
Vauxhall wheel rims. Does anyone know if these wheels would fit
directly on the caravan?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but any advice would be
appreciated.

TIA

Roy

In order for the tyre to be suitable, it must be the same type (radial) and
size (155x13) - and must have load and speed ratings at least as high as
your existing tyres (78S).

In order for the wheel to fit, it has to match the originals in *all*
important dimensions, including:
* rim diameter (that's the easy bit!)
* rim width
* offset (horizontal distance of mounting web from centre-line)
* number of stud holes
* size of stud holes
* PCD (pitch circle diameter) of stud holes
* size of central hole to fit over bearing housing

If you choose a car wheel at random - which happens to be have the right rim
diameter - the chances are that at least some of the other parameters
*won't* be right.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old November 13th 05, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
someone here

"Roy Forster" wrote in message
I ahve left my Swift Challenger in store for the winter - many miles away
and want to locate a second-hand spare wheel. The van is circa 1987 and

has
a twin-wheel base. The size of the tyres is 155 R13 78S and I have seen

some
for sale on Ebay. They are on Ford Escort or Vauxhall wheel rims. Does
anyone know if these wheels would fit directly on the caravan?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but any advice would be

appreciated.

TIA

Sir needs the J number.
AKA hub size, offset, rim size, rim width and nut spacing

The number you have quoted is the *tyre* size and while it may fit both your
van rim
and the cars you have quoted. There is no guarantee that the actual wheel
will fit on your axle.

HTH

Dave
who has discovered that BMW and Toyota wheels are the same size but are not
interchangeable!!

Old November 13th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

someone here wrote:

"Roy Forster" wrote in message
I ahve left my Swift Challenger in store for the winter - many miles
away and want to locate a second-hand spare wheel. The van is circa
1987 and has a twin-wheel base. The size of the tyres is 155 R13 78S
and I have seen some for sale on Ebay. They are on Ford Escort or
Vauxhall wheel rims. Does anyone know if these wheels would fit
directly on the caravan?

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but any advice would be
appreciated.

TIA

Sir needs the J number.
AKA hub size, offset, rim size, rim width and nut spacing

I'm not convinced that the J number defines all of these parameters - but
they are all important. Further details at
http://www.trailerpartswarehouse.co....ta_wheels.aspx
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old November 13th 05, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Most caravan wheels have the same parameters and should fit just about every
caravan made (in UK). Smiths make steel rims for caravan wheels and they are
available from most dealers and stockists. Go to your local caravan dealer
or buy on-line from Towsure or any of the trailer manufacturers. They can be
obtained second hand from caravan breakers.

All the best, Peter.