Damper - a cautionary tale

Old August 19th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Damper - a cautionary tale

We've never had a 100% smooth towing action with our 1976 'van but this
weekend, coming down a gravelly hill from the Bosworth Visitor Centre, we
were frightened by the banging and erratic action. We limped home, very
carefully, and today Spouse stripped the towing gear.

The damper was useless, there was no resistance at all, presumably all the
liquid had leaked out over the years. The boot was totally perished.

He sourced another from Dickinson's of Bradford, went out and bought it. It
was over 40 but worth it for peace of mind. The new one is gas filled of
course.

It's something we should have examined when we first got the 'van but you
don't think about such things, do you? A real case of out of sight, out of
mind. If a car's dampers had been in that state it would have been declared
unroadworthy.

Right, got that off my chest, off to bed now, to sleep easy!

Mary

Old August 21st 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I presume that you are talking about the hitch damper - which prevents the
brakes from coming on too suddenly?

There have been threads about these dampers in the past. If you got
frightened while driving slowly down a gravelly hill, just be thankful that
you never needed to brake hard at high speed. With a shot hitch damper, this
can be *extremely* exciting!

[For a bit more detail, see part of an earlier thread at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B1F922AA5]

Roger

Old August 21st 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

I presume that you are talking about the hitch damper - which prevents the
brakes from coming on too suddenly?

Yes. I realised after I'd sent my post that it might be interpreted as being
suspension dampers. Our 'van doesn't have those so I didn't think about it..

There have been threads about these dampers in the past. If you got
frightened while driving slowly down a gravelly hill, just be thankful

that
you never needed to brake hard at high speed. With a shot hitch damper,

this
can be *extremely* exciting!

Quite. That's why I said it was a cautionary tale.

But since we never tow at high speed that wouldn't have been possible. But
the message is still sound.

Mary

Old August 21st 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Imber

I have had to emergency stop from 50 - the caravan was fine but at least it
shows something else to maintain.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

But since we never tow at high speed that wouldn't have been possible. But
the message is still sound.

Mary

It doesn't have to be *very* high speed - the legal limit of 50 on ordinary
roads is quite fast enough to be exciting if you do an emergency stop with a
shot hitch damper!

BTW, I hope you don't tow at *ultra* low speed - and get in everyone's way!

Roger