Towing a Caravan with a 1.9D van

Old November 15th 05, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris

Default Towing a Caravan with a 1.9D van

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to roam for a couple of years France / Spain etc.. but
unfortuantly I have a lot of toys I want to take with me.

I was away for a long while before and the car (C5 estate) with 3
windsurfers, loads of sails, bikes, and all the bits for a long stay was
running out of room.

Okay, I've dropped one board (7kg) but added a 220kg motorcycle!

There is are good deals on Vauxhall / Traffic 1.9D vans going. The Caravan
comes in loaded about 1400kg with the Van intending to have 350kg in the
back.

Has anyone the slightest idea how the engine would cope for long drives?

Kind regards
Old November 15th 05, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Chris came up with the following;:
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to roam for a couple of years France / Spain etc.. but
unfortuantly I have a lot of toys I want to take with me.

I was away for a long while before and the car (C5 estate) with 3
windsurfers, loads of sails, bikes, and all the bits for a long stay was
running out of room.

Okay, I've dropped one board (7kg) but added a 220kg motorcycle!

There is are good deals on Vauxhall / Traffic 1.9D vans going. The
Caravan comes in loaded about 1400kg with the Van intending to have 350kg
in the back.

Has anyone the slightest idea how the engine would cope for long drives?

The 1.9 Diesel Laguna engine (RTi version I had) was awesome. powerful,
smooth, and would cruise at any speed you liked when towing, and waaaay
beyond what's safe and legal in UK ... On a track we got to 97 with no
stability problems whilst towing the caravan ...

The van derivative is a, I believe, de-tuned version that loses about 10%
torque and power, but frankly it had so much it would hardly be noticed, I
guess.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old November 15th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Paul - xxx came up with the following;:

The 1.9 Diesel Laguna engine

ooooops, sorry. Spot the, ahem, deliberate mis-read ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old November 15th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

There is are good deals on Vauxhall / Traffic 1.9D vans going. The
Caravan
comes in loaded about 1400kg with the Van intending to have 350kg in the
back.

Ideal, I would have thought, if it was the 100PS. 82PS could get quite slow
and might be less suitable in the mountains.

I towed around 1100kg with a 68PS van of similar size and that was probably
a little underpowered for comfort. 100PS would have been a dream.

Christian.

Old November 16th 05, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

I've towed with a Citroen Dispatch 2.0 HDi, which has 95 bhp - about 13
bph more than the 82 bhp 1.9CDTi Movano I suspect you're considering.
However, torque is probably more important that power. My HDi has 215Nm -
compare with the 200Nm of the 19CDTi described on the Vauxhall site.

Even with two adults, a 30kg dog and about 100kg of stuff in the back, my
van towed my 1200kg caravan with ease under typical conditions, but
things like Haldon Hill near Exeter and Birdlip Hill near Cheltenham
slowed it down - it would still outpace many HGVs, but it couldn't get to
the legal speed limit for the outfit.

Now, I suspect that the van you're looking at is heavier than my Dispatch
(kerbweight of 1757kg compared to my Dispatch at 1415kg), it has less
power, you're looking to tow a caravan that's a couple of hundred
kilograms more than mine, and you're looking to carry another couple of
hundred kilograms more than me in the back of the van.

If you are looking at the 82bhp version, you're looking to lug nearly
three-quarters of a tonne more than me with 13bhp less power and 15Nm
less torque. So, even though Vauxhall do state a maximum towing limit of
2 tonnes, I suspect that the 1.9CDTi [82bhp] Movano might struggle a bit
to do what you want. It'll get you there, but probably not as quickly as
you'd like!

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old November 16th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DervMan

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to roam for a couple of years France / Spain etc.. but
unfortuantly I have a lot of toys I want to take with me.

I was away for a long while before and the car (C5 estate) with 3
windsurfers, loads of sails, bikes, and all the bits for a long stay was
running out of room.

Okay, I've dropped one board (7kg) but added a 220kg motorcycle!

There is are good deals on Vauxhall / Traffic 1.9D vans going. The
Caravan
comes in loaded about 1400kg with the Van intending to have 350kg in the
back.

Has anyone the slightest idea how the engine would cope for long drives?

Diesels, and turbodiesels, are much better at coping with maximum load for
long periods of time. It may not be slow but providing it's in good
mechanical health (change the oil regularily, keep the cooling system fine,
the usual basically) it may not be quick but it'll cope well enough.

It won't be as economical as your C5 (mostly because of the weight, a little
in the aerodynamics too), but everything will rattle around in it space
wise.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com