Towing with a Mercedes

Old November 18th 05, 05:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nebulous

Default Towing with a Mercedes

Hi folks

I have been looking for a new towcar off and on for about 18 months and it
is turning into a Herculean task. I really need quite a big car to pull my
caravan which is 1300 kg gross. I also have quite a large family and carry
four bikes on the roof.

I was pretty serious about a Vauxhall Omega for a while, but decided as they
were so thirsty it needed to be a diesel and I couldn't find one in decent
condition/mileage.

I briefly enquired about a Volkswagen Caravelle, but it was too expensive. I
really don't want to go for a 4x4.

So now I'm noticing some cracking deals on E class Mercs. It seems to be
possible to pick up a decent Merc, maybe an E240 around 99/00, for about
£6000.

I don't know why this is. I know that their reputation has taken a knock in
recent years and big cars maybe out of favour, but its been a long held
ambition of mine to have a Merc.

So several questions:

Anyone towed with one and got any comments on their suitability as a towcar?

How are repair bills/ servicing am I likely to have to remortgage to
maintain it?

Finally very few of them come with towbars. Are there any special problems
in fitting a towbar and how much should I budget for one?

Thanks

Old November 18th 05, 06:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Colloff

The message
from "Nebulous" said:

How are repair bills/ servicing am I likely to have to remortgage to
maintain it?

I looked into this a few years back when returning to the UK from
working abroad and could get one a bit cheaper.
If you want it to continue running as a Merc you have to have it
serviced as a Merc. At that time the 3 year\60,000 mile service for the
model I was considering cost a bomb as it included replacing _all_
rubber seals. I understand things have changed a bit since then.

I decided against it and have never regretted it. Very happy with my
Jag that I can do lots of work on myself. My son runs Mercs and the
servicing costs appall me, fortunately his business justifies and pays
for it.

When I commented about a friend switching to a Lexus he was not
surprised as the Merc dealerships he deals with are casual in the
extreme, whereas Lexus dealers respect the cash you are spending with
them, he says.

HTH John.

Old November 18th 05, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Nebulous" wrote in message
news
[...]

If you have the car serviced by Mercedes it will be expensive ........ in my
hometown Mercedes has the highest hourly rate for service charges.

Richard

Old November 18th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Basso

I ran a Mercedes 230 TE for a number of years. Lovely car, had it serviced
by a local ex-Mercedes engineer, bought spares from Eurocarparts (original
Merc parts, without the merc pricetag!). MPG was not brilliant ( around
22-25 mpg) but it was an auto with a petrol engine. I never towed with it -
I got a Shogun Diesel to tow my first van (a Stirling Europa with a MIRO of
1350 kg) cos the Merc was getting a bit long in the tooth and I wanted to
get something designed for towing seeing as I was a newbie! The Shogun is a
brilliant car - 7 seats, loads of room, same MPG as Merc (23mpg), and
effortless towing in great comfort. We towed the van home from Cornwall last
year - 5 hour journey, arrived home fresh as a daisy, kids read in back of
car as happy as larry! That would NOT have been the case in a big wallowey
Merc I suspect. Don't write 4X4s off as an option - but would be a bit of a
pain as an everyday car if it was the sole family transport I suppose.....

Old November 19th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

"Nebulous" wrote in message
[...]

I have had a number of Mercs petrols and Diesels, they all towed
excellently, the 124 250D Auto estate I had laterly was reliable, parts
from eurocarparts were cheap (cheaper than my wifes Rover!) In fact Mercs
have been some of the cheapest cars to run I have ever owned..If you use a
mecedes specialest even servicing needn't be that expensive
The 250D towed 12Kg of caravan without any problems though don't try any
speed records as it's a bit underpowered go for the 300D
The only problems with the early 210 series 1997-2000 is RUST and boy can it
be bad, My mates 1998 300dturbo has had 2 new front wings, rear wings, boot
lid, bonnet, resprayed (under merc waranty) and front crossmember welded!!!
It's all to do with the low VOC paint that merc started using, read the Merc
owners club forums.
That I suspect is why they are so cheap!!
Check the car very carefully wheel arches etc for rust and if thats OK you
will have an excellent cheap to run and reliable towcar!!
Towbars are a doddle to fit, I fitted one on my mates 210 took a couple of
hours and due to the bulb warning sytem we had to fit a relay pack.

Des

Old November 19th 05, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Des, I am sure that you did not mean to say that your caravan only weighs
12kg (26½lbs). I think you meant 1200kg (1.2tonnes or 1.178tons, 1ton
3.5cwt).

All the best, Peter.