Isle of Wight Reccomendations

Old November 20th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JRS

Default Isle of Wight Reccomendations

can anyone suggest a top notch touring site. preferably with indoor pool or
with one close by. I am member of CC and C&CC so would like any views on
those.

thanks a lot.

Jon

Old November 20th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:39:08 -0000, "JRS" wrote:

| can anyone suggest a top notch touring site. preferably with indoor pool or
| with one close by. I am member of CC and C&CC so would like any views on
| those.

The thing I remember about the Isle of Wight was the cost of the ferry.
Remember the price that before you do anything else.
CCC have changed to a different site since I was there so can not comment.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Old November 20th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 20th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Livesley

There are quite a few listed on www.uk-sites.com
not tried them all!
steve

Old November 20th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Troglett

We went to THE ORCHARDS situated in Newbridge,it's a 5star site which is CC
affiliated and about a 5 min drive from Yarmouth (served from Lymington on a
25 min ferry crossing).
This is an excellent site which has an indoor pool -which is chargable and
an outdoor which is free. It has a very well stocked shop which does not try
to rip you off. Also there is a takeaway which we did not sample but had
heard good reports from.

There was no on site clubhouse or bar ( which to be honest was probably one
of the main attractions for us)..but there was a pool room and games room
for the kids.The site also benifited from all the usual laundry ammenities,
washing up rooms etc. I can thoroughly recommend this site and we plan to
visit again next August. Not the cheapest on the island and to my mind had a
few niggly minor points such as charging extra for a sleeping compartment on
an awning

www.isleofwight.com/orchards

Hope the above link will be of interest to you

Cheers Kev

Old November 21st 05, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Musicman

I hear that The Orchards is very nice and reported to be 'top notch'.

As a resident of the IOW and new to 'vanning, I first tried out a local site
before
venturing across on the ferry to pastures greener. I plumped for Wightcliff
Bay (non C&CC site but affiliated I think) for a few days and found it very
pleasant, but I have nothing to compare it with.

It had all the usual requirements regarding hook ups with the surroundings
being quite pleasant and secluded. The complex is divided by a main road
with one side being for tourers and the other for chalets. The touring site
has some hard standings but many pitches are grass (and damn soggy when I
went in Oct !) There is a field set aside for dog owners.

On the touring site there are showers, toilets and utensil washing
facilities, as well as a launderette and a small shop. There is also an
outdoor childrens' play area. The entertainment and swimming pool is
situated on the chalet side of the complex so it means a short walk (or
drive) across the road and up through the other site. The pool is quite
acceptable and benefits from a decent sized slide. The pool has a lifeguard
in attendance. In the same pool complex there is a gym with several bits of
electronic equipment and another 'soft play' type enclosure for kids. All
this and a snack bar too. Nearby is a bar (Nab Bar) which serves hot food
including a carvery. Entertainment, disco/karaoke and childrens'
entertainment can be found in here too. Heading back down to the main
entertainment complex you'll find the ballroom where a variety of
entertainment is on offer. Live band, fun and games, cabaret, bingo, sports
comps etc etc. There is a nicely presented reception and a reasonably well
stocked (and priced ) shop. Yet another outdoor childrens' play area too!

I found the site quite comfortable and offered a good selection of things to
do, even when it's pi**ing down with rain!

I have a few local friends who very often pack up their stuff and toddle off
to a local site. The popular ones are Appuldurcombe, Rookley Country Park
and the main C&CC site, Adgestone.

Hope you found this useful.

Kev (Shanklin, IOW)