Carver 550 Turbo Fanmaster Economic use

Old November 20th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SiGreen10

Default Carver 550 Turbo Fanmaster Economic use

I have a 4 year old 23ft Swift, no leeks.

I keep it on the drive with mains permanently connected .

The Carver fannaster can run on mains at 1Kw or Caravan gas, either way
thermostatically controlled .

Which would be cheapest , electric or gas to keep it permanently around
7 degrees over winter?

Old November 21st 05, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnh

"SiGreen10" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 4 year old 23ft Swift, no leeks.

I keep it on the drive with mains permanently connected .

The Carver fannaster can run on mains at 1Kw or Caravan gas, either way
thermostatically controlled .

Which would be cheapest , electric or gas to keep it permanently around
7 degrees over winter?

No contest. Electric

Old November 21st 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

Electric is far more controllable. My caravan is also permanently connected
but instead of using the Carver heater I put a small fan heater in the
caravan operated by a frost stat (more accurate than the frost setting on
the heater).
I would rather wear that out than the Carver and because the Carver is relay
operated it only takes a mains dropout to turn it off. It is also possible
to put a timer in series with the frost stat but I don't bother. The van
keeps nicely aired all through the winter.
You can get the frost stat from any plumbers merchants, they are used
normally to bypass cenetral heating timers to stop heating freezing up in
cold weather.
Barry

"johnh" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old November 21st 05, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

You can get the frost stat from any plumbers merchants, they are used
normally to bypass cenetral heating timers to stop heating freezing up in
cold weather.

Check the thermostat rating first though. Some frost stats are only rated to
6A or less if designed for central heating. You need one rated for 13A for a
fan heater.

Christian.