Damp free caravans?

Old November 21st 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Damp free caravans?

Obviously the British don't know how to build caravans that exclude
damp! What other choices do we have, in order of preference please,
and why?

Ta.
Old November 21st 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:58:36 +0000, Peter wrote:

Obviously the British don't know how to build caravans that exclude
damp! What other choices do we have, in order of preference please,
and why?

Ta.

Germany, they use different sealant & a lot more of it, they have for
years offered a 5 or 6 year water ingress warranties & rarely have
claims on them.

Lenny

Old November 21st 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Germany, they use different sealant & a lot more of it, they have for
years offered a 5 or 6 year water ingress warranties & rarely have
claims on them.

Did I read of a new outfit using thermoplastic bodyshells? Solvent-welded
into one unit.
The Germans seem to have it boxed off, and the Yanks since the '40's with
the Airstream.
In one factory (very labour intensive) reviewed by the CC, they say a new
caravan comes off the line every fifteen minutes. Quality control quite
strict then.
Remove the chintzy interiors and there's not much for your money in a
British 'van.
Paper thin roof panels, crumbly floors made of polyfoam and 4mm ply.
Rainwater ingress almost guaranteed.
Why don't they ask boatbuilders where they buy weatherproof sealant? or
maybe it's too expensive and the product would last too long.
The continentals we meet abroad, like the style of British vans compared to
their quite spartan offerings but the build quality is garbage.
If they combine German quality with British design, say goodbye to the UK
industry. But that's par for the course-memories of cars and motor bikes.
DaveK.

Old November 21st 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:58:36 +0000, Peter wrote:

Obviously the British don't know how to build caravans that exclude
damp! What other choices do we have, in order of preference please,
and why?

Ta.

Hymer available from Lowdhams Caravans in either Nottngham or
Huddersfield. Reason is simple they are the only caravans that have no
wooden framework to rot. The walls are a sandwich of aluminium on the
outside Polyurethane foam as the filler and marine ply on inside. The
whole lot is stabilised with an aluminium frame. They seem to use
different sealants than the Uk vans, but should water get down any
screw holes then it will immediaterly come to an impermeable barrier.
If it is into the aluminium frame it stays in the hole. If it gets to
the polyurethane foam then it has nowhere to go as the the foam is the
bonding material and is impermeable to water. All in all a much more
satisfying solution, and a 6 year water ingress warranty.
I've had mine for three years now no signs of any damp anywhere. I
intend keeping the van for a long time, and I will report if it ever
develops any leaks. The general build quality is good and everything
fits well. In use it's the best van I've ever had, though as I've said
before the internal quality and construction of my old award daystar
(1994 vintage not the swift manufactured version ) was far superior,
externally though it leaked like a seive. But then again you can't
get vans that are as well fitted out as those vans these days.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old November 21st 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

[...]

Hi Bill

Nice to see you kicking around

Back on the road ,

'Van back in the work shop for some water ingress

Hope to be back on the road in the New Year

Regards

DieSea

Old November 21st 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:07:53 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

Hi Bill

Nice to see you kicking around

I lurk a lot these days, mind you I read everything that goes through
here, unless it's cross posted.

Back on the road ,

That's good.

'Van back in the work shop for some water ingress

Get a hymer and forget leaks. G

Hope to be back on the road in the New Year

THat's when we expect to be on the road again.

(remove the spam to reply)