monitoring leisure battery life - what are the options?

Old November 25th 05, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

Default monitoring leisure battery life - what are the options?

Hi, I have a home-converted camper van (done by previous owner), which
has a couple of 12volt leisure batteries.

I'm not very experience or technically adept (and that's an
understatement)!!,

but I was wondering if there is a product for continually monitoring
battery life which any of you regulars could recommend - ideally I
would like a meter or dial I can permanently fix on the wall, just to
know how I'm doing and whether I should charge them up more.

even better, a particular product and supplier in the london area would
be great to know

cheers if you can help

skintoo

Old November 25th 05, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

but I was wondering if there is a product for continually monitoring
battery life which any of you regulars could recommend -

Sold at caravan dealers. CEC Plug In Systems. As you describe- battery
condition meter, with needle moving from red, yellow to green to indicate
low, half and full charge. About 15.
With battery changeover switch, about 20.
DaveK.

Old November 25th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Get a cheap digital multimeter and wire up a cigarette plug. You can use it
if needed as a multimeter as well!

Old November 26th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnh

"skintoo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a home-converted camper van (done by previous owner), which
has a couple of 12volt leisure batteries.

I'm not very experience or technically adept (and that's an
understatement)!!,

but I was wondering if there is a product for continually monitoring
battery life which any of you regulars could recommend - ideally I
would like a meter or dial I can permanently fix on the wall, just to
know how I'm doing and whether I should charge them up more.

even better, a particular product and supplier in the london area would
be great to know

cheers if you can help

skintoo

Hi,

Why not sort a proper charging circuit out? You'll find some simple and more
complex circuits at this link http://tinyurl.com/4yboz

hth

Old November 26th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seafarer

On 25 Nov 2005 05:43:49 -0800, "skintoo"
wrote:

Hi, I have a home-converted camper van (done by previous owner), which
has a couple of 12volt leisure batteries.

I'm not very experience or technically adept (and that's an
understatement)!!,

but I was wondering if there is a product for continually monitoring
battery life which any of you regulars could recommend - ideally I
would like a meter or dial I can permanently fix on the wall, just to
know how I'm doing and whether I should charge them up more.

even better, a particular product and supplier in the london area would
be great to know

cheers if you can help

skintoo

Took the meter dial off an old analoque multi-meter,12 volts takes it
off the scale do I soldered a resistor in series with the attached
leads to bring the needle to 12 volts.
I forget which resistor I used and I don't want to take it off the
wall to check.Think it was around 100k.Anyway I screwed it to the wall
and led the leads back to the over head light switch.I thought about
using the 12v supply from the fuse box but found it easier to see at
eye level.Now I know how the battery is doing just by a glance,Cost?
nowt! just a scrap meter dial.Hope it helps.

Old November 26th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
skintoo

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all of you for your responses.

My knowledge of things electrical is dire, almost to the point of
criminal negligence!!!!
Obviously I have some big educational deficiencies and lacunae in my
knowledge : (

I have a cheapo multimetre from Maplins and, yes, I've just about
figured how I can get a reading of what my batteries are producing -
which should, of course, be twelve volts.

However, if I understand correctly, this information alone does not
necessarily tell me what reserves the batteries may have and whether
they are due for a charge up -
because
(correct me if I'm wrong) the batteries will keep producing 12v until
they are actually very run down indeed - won't they? so....if I get a
reading below 12v that would mean the batts are really on their last
legs - and presumably it would be better for the battery (and my
life-plan in general) to have given them a charge up before that
happens.

....the key point here being (if I understand correctly) a reading of
12v from a multimetre will not necessarily give me an idea of HOW LONG
I can expect the battery life to be.

Am I right in thinking this?

Is there another way of assessing how much life/endurance there is in a
liesure battery rather than just seeing if it's producing 12v at any
given moment?

cheers for any enlightenment
Yours in a cloud of ignorance

Skintoo