(Newbie) Winter Caravanning

Old November 26th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Schrodingers Cat

Default (Newbie) Winter Caravanning

Looking at taking my 11 year old Swift Challenger to Northern Ireland over
the Xmas period. Having never done any winter caravanning before, I am
particularly interested to hear any tips from you old pros. Bearing in mind
the forecast as one of the coldest Winters, I would be particularly
interested to hear of ways to prevent my water supply freezing and damaging
the pipes and any other useful advice.

Many thanks

Old November 26th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Schrodingers Cat" wrote in message
Looking at taking my 11 year old Swift Challenger to Northern Ireland over
the Xmas period. Having never done any winter caravanning before, I am
particularly interested to hear any tips from you old pros. Bearing in
mind the forecast as one of the coldest Winters, I would be particularly
interested to hear of ways to prevent my water supply freezing and
damaging the pipes and any other useful advice.

If it's likely to be below freezing, have an inboard water supply available.
Use Propane (red bottles) not Butane (blue).
If your heater is gas only, take an electric fan heater-with adjustable
settings (2kw might trip the supply on some sites).
Fridge vent covers are recommended for winter use.
Have fun.
DaveK.

Old November 28th 05, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Schrodingers Cat" wrote in message
Looking at taking my 11 year old Swift Challenger to Northern Ireland over
the Xmas period. Having never done any winter caravanning before, I am
particularly interested to hear any tips from you old pros. Bearing in
mind the forecast as one of the coldest Winters, I would be particularly
interested to hear of ways to prevent my water supply freezing and
damaging the pipes and any other useful advice.

Many thanks

Make sure the 12V battery is _fully_ charged ........ I use a single 110AH
battery.

I stand the water carrier on a solid block of wood and insulate the same
with a cut down water tank jacket wrapped around the carrier and tied in
place. I then put a large dustbin bag over the whole thing to offer some
protection against dew/rain (just cut a slit in the top to feed the pump
into the carrier). I put pipe insulation (secured with cable ties) around
the 'blue pipe-feed' from the top outlet to the connection at the side of
van. I have seen others use different ideas and in addition put up a wind
break around the carrier also.

Use propane gas (red bottles) butane doesn't work at low temperature (my
experience as a carp fisherman suggests it gets iffy at about 5C). I have
two (6kg I think) bottles installed in the locker with an auto changeover
system. The changeover kit was about 55 and was easy to install, and Imo
worth its weight in gold.

I leave the heating on day and night (set lower when out and overnight) but
only put hot water on as required. Also, make sure you get heat into the
wash-room (open blower feed) it will transform this area from very cold to
very comfortable.

I find for a 4 day winter rally without electric hook-up that this works
well. We don't get any problems with gas supply or battery, and we also use
the TV on 12v but quite carefully. However, if electric hook-up is provided
I use it for everything I can.

We do put a porch awning up, and strap it down just in-case.

We end up snug as bugs in our caravan.

I bet as soon as I post this I will think of something else ;o)

HTH ........... Richard

Old November 28th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:02:52 +0000 (UTC), "Richard"
wrote:

[...]

I have snipped all the rest of your very good advice and would agree
with the advice about the water tank above, though in any UK winter
that I have ever been out in I have never needed to do more than wrap
the barrel in bubble wrap and also wrap the pipe-feed in bubble wrap.
One thing I also do is to make sure that I have a full tank of fresh
water freshly filled in the evening. Such a large body of water takes
a lot of freezing and with minimal insulation it should remain
unfrozen for the night and the slight rising of temperature during the
day is likely to keep it so.
One thing you did not mention is the water outlet, it is sufficient to
make sure that there is no place in the output pipe where water can
collect, and that your pipe outlet where it goes into your waste water
container never gets immersed in the water in the tank.
I have frequently been out when the sites water suppply to the sevice
points has benn completely frozen up, with just the water supply in
the toilet block usable and have never been frozen up.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old November 28th 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

wrote:

[...]

On a New Year rally about 3 years ago this chap used an old anorak and fed
the pipe feed through one of the arms ..... I thought that was simple and
effective.

One thing I also do is to make sure that I have a full tank of fresh
water freshly filled in the evening. Such a large body of water takes
a lot of freezing and with minimal insulation it should remain
unfrozen for the night and the slight rising of temperature during the
day is likely to keep it so.

Good point ..... I do top mine up in the evening (so all is ok for the
morning) whenever I caravan _but_ just out of habit and not for this very
real reason you mention.

One thing you did not mention is the water outlet, it is sufficient to
make sure that there is no place in the output pipe where water can
collect, and that your pipe outlet where it goes into your waste water
container never gets immersed in the water in the tank.
I have frequently been out when the sites water suppply to the sevice
points has benn completely frozen up, with just the water supply in
the toilet block usable and have never been frozen up.

yep, understand ...........

Thanks Bill ............... Richard

Old November 28th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:36:22 GMT, "Schrodingers Cat"
wrote:

| Looking at taking my 11 year old Swift Challenger to Northern Ireland over
| the Xmas period. Having never done any winter caravanning before, I am
| particularly interested to hear any tips from you old pros. Bearing in mind
| the forecast as one of the coldest Winters, I would be particularly
| interested to hear of ways to prevent my water supply freezing and damaging
| the pipes and any other useful advice.

Look around *especially underneath* for holes and vents.
Caravans are designed for use in the summer, and so have lots and lots of
ventilation. Summer ventilation is winter draughts :-( .

Block off as much ventilation as you reasonably can, but remember that you
will have to remove it next summer. Remember the roof vents, I have a bit
of bubble wrap above the fly screen in mine. Do *not* block off all the
ventilation because you have to get rid of water vapour from people and
cooking. If you use LPG a carbon monoxide detector would be advisable.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?