Pace Sky Minibox

Old November 28th 05, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

Default Pace Sky Minibox

I am considering using a Pace 1000 Sky Minibox powered from a caravan 12
volt supply.

I am concerned that the 10.5v to 13.5v voltage variation, depending on state
of charge of battery, may cause problems as it is outside the boxes 12V +-
0.6V operating range.

Has anybody used one of these boxes powered from 12 volts in a caravan?

Thanks
John

Old November 29th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

John,
Have used one for 3 years or more, always from the battery which is under
charge when mains is available. If the water pump is used, the picture
freezes but quickly sorts itself out when the pump goes off.

Paul

Old November 29th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:11:47 GMT, "ZZhivago" wrote:

| John,
| Have used one for 3 years or more, always from the battery which is under
| charge when mains is available. If the water pump is used, the picture
| freezes but quickly sorts itself out when the pump goes off.
|
| Paul
| "John G" wrote in message
| I am considering using a Pace 1000 Sky Minibox powered from a caravan 12
| volt supply.
|
| I am concerned that the 10.5v to 13.5v voltage variation, depending on
| state
| of charge of battery, may cause problems as it is outside the boxes 12V +-
| 0.6V operating range.
|
| Has anybody used one of these boxes powered from 12 volts in a caravan?

STBs and TV are sensitive to input voltage as John G suggests. If you can
it is worthwhile wiring the TV and any STBs separate from all other 12V
supplies in *thick* 2sq mm or more wire, and as short as you can make the
wire. This reduces the voltage drop in the wires.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Sick and tired of Junk Snail Mail?
Old November 29th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old November 30th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John G

Thanks very much for your interest and comments.
I have now got the Minibox and have been doing a bit of testing
The van power unit voltage is 13.8V.
The maximum design supply voltage for the Pace Minibox is 12.6V.
I have therefore made myself an adapter which goes in the power feed to the
Minibox containing 2 forward bias diodes. These drop 1.5V which means that
with it in circuit and the van power unit turned on the box is getting it's
designed maximum volts. The Minibox works until the supply voltage drops to
10.6V. I will therefore need to remove my adapter when not using the power
unit and the battery volts drop to 12.1V.

Something else I found that may be of interest. The standby current taken by
the Minibox is not much lower than it's on current. It is therefore
advisable to disconnect it when no mains are available as it could flatten
an 85Ah battery in four days.
With a supply voltage of 12.6V the on current is 0.832A standby 0.797A.
With a supply voltage of 10.5V the on current is 1.018A standby 0.971A.

I found that the Minibox fits nicely in the top locker that houses the
Status aerial amplifier and that the power lead from the Status amp fits the
Minibox power connecter. An 8" length of coax connects the Minbox to the van
external TV aerial coax which conveniently terminates in the battery box.
Making installation very simple.

John