security

Old December 2nd 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jx

Default security

We were put off caravanning ten years ago when our van was stolen but now
we're on the point of buying a caravan again so what security devices should
we be considering?

Old December 2nd 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Jx" wrote in message
We were put off caravanning ten years ago when our van was stolen but now
we're on the point of buying a caravan again so what security devices
should we be considering?

Insurence companies appear to want the following as a general rule.
Wheel clamp.
Hitch clamp.

My caravan has an Alarm fitted at the factory, it is an option when
ordering.
You can consider a security post in front of the caravan.

Please reply to News Group

Old December 2nd 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:00:10 GMT, "Jx" wrote:

We were put off caravanning ten years ago when our van was stolen but now
we're on the point of buying a caravan again so what security devices should
we be considering?

A tracker, if you would prefer to get the caravan back rather than the
insurance payout. I believe they are about 100% reliable.
--

Paul Rooney

Old December 2nd 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:00:10 GMT, "Jx" wrote:

| We were put off caravanning ten years ago when our van was stolen but now
| we're on the point of buying a caravan again so what security devices should
| we be considering?

*Insurance*

CCC distributed a poster for the rear window "if this caravan is being
towed it has been stolen, please call the Police" Makes sure that they
have to break into the van to remove it as well as removing the wheel lock
and hitch lock.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Old December 2nd 05, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old December 2nd 05, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Jx" wrote in message
We were put off caravanning ten years ago when our van was stolen but now
we're on the point of buying a caravan again so what security devices
should we be considering?

Most insurers require fitting of a tilt alarm and at least one other
hardware device (hitchlock-wheelclamp &c). I have acquired various bits over
the years so probably a bit over the top as the caravan is on the front
garden area, facing in towards the house.
Hitchlock, wheelclamp, corner steady lock, interior alarm, personal alarm
with pull out tag which operates when door is opened, EasyFit 'talking'
alarm which gives a warning message at first tap-alarms at second.
Tracker devices are excellent,probably ensures return of a stolen van-(if
you can bear to live with it again after the pikies have desecrated it).
There's also a clever device using a (preferably old) mobile phone linked to
the alarm. Sends a message to your phone when activated. That lets you know
it's on the move, but not where it is.
My insurer requires at least one hardware device to be fitted whenever the
caravan is unhitched and unattended.
Starting from scratch I wouldn't spend a lot on additional things other than
what the insurers require.
Postcode all personal items and in concealed areas of the van so you can
positively identify it if required. Personal car registration number is best
'cos even the dimmest copper can check the pnc. They don't bother checking
postcodes.
DaveK.

Old December 2nd 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:12:41 -0000, "davek"
wrote:

| My insurer requires at least one hardware device to be fitted whenever the
| caravan is unhitched and unattended.

CCC only demand wheel lock and switch lock, when not being towed, and only
charge you GBP250 excess if you do not have them fitted.