Hobby blowing fuse - the outcome

Old August 20th 03, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

Default Hobby blowing fuse - the outcome

I posted back in July that my new Excellent Easy was blowing 7.5 amp
fuses if we drew water whilst bathroom/toilet lights were on.

After sme umming and erring about what to do and a few more
blown fuses, I fitted a 10 amp fuse last week. That seemd to do the
trick - ie over current must be 7.5 but 10 amp.

Since the overcurrent condition is only occurring whilst
the pump is on I do see this action as a major safety risk.

Steve Harper

Old August 21st 03, 04:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Steve Harper" wrote in message
I posted back in July that my new Excellent Easy was blowing 7.5 amp
fuses if we drew water whilst bathroom/toilet lights were on.

After sme umming and erring about what to do and a few more
blown fuses, I fitted a 10 amp fuse last week. That seemd to do the
trick - ie over current must be 7.5 but 10 amp.

Since the overcurrent condition is only occurring whilst
the pump is on I do see this action as a major safety risk.

Steve Harper

The pump supplied with the Hobby is pretty powerful and and may be at the
high end of its manufacturing tolerance, but I would be suspicious. The
feeding wires - red and white- to the pump are fairly light and might be
heating up if the 7.5 fuse is blowing - ours doesn't blow its fuse and I
haven't seen any other reports of this problem on the ng. There may be a
problem with the wires supplying the taps - did the fuse blow when any of
the taps were used or was it just one in particular and did it occur
immediately the pump started to work You might try putting an ammeter
across the 7.5 fuse when none of the lights and appliances are switch on to
check whether there is a current flowing when there shouldn't be.

Old August 21st 03, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

"bowtiejim" wrote in message

The pump supplied with the Hobby is pretty powerful and and may be at the
high end of its manufacturing tolerance, but I would be suspicious. The
feeding wires - red and white- to the pump are fairly light and might be
heating up if the 7.5 fuse is blowing - ours doesn't blow its fuse and I
haven't seen any other reports of this problem on the ng. There may be a
problem with the wires supplying the taps - did the fuse blow when any of
the taps were used or was it just one in particular and did it occur
immediately the pump started to work You might try putting an ammeter
across the 7.5 fuse when none of the lights and appliances are switch on

check whether there is a current flowing when there shouldn't be.

I didnt explain very well...

It is v marginal, the fuse doesnt blow every time. I feel fairly sure its a
start-up
condition on the pump, the light 'dims' instantaneously wI turn the pump on
but once the pump is running, the light appears to increase in intensity
again.

If it is the pump, I can replace it quite easily and that might make another
issue I
have to do with replacinge/modifying the current water tank a bit simpler!

Based on your comments I will do some more monitoring....thanks for the
advice.

Steve

Old August 21st 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

The dimming of the lights is to be expected when a motor starts up. All
motors draw a significant amount of current when they are first turned
on, causing a voltage drop.... It will be especially noticeable if they
are fed via a common set of wiring to both lights and pump.

I agree Harry, it seems to be that with all lights on, during start-up
of the motor, the current exceeds 7.5amps for long enough to blow
the fuse. It doesnt blow a 10amp fuse thank goodness!

Steve