Kia Sorrento

Old December 7th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Reed

Default Kia Sorrento

Hi to all,

Just about to change my car and considering the Kia Sorrento.

I like to go for the 2.5 Diesel Auto, because of my dickey leg, but don't
know if this will be best for towing!

My caravan is the Coachman Pastiche 460/2 and weighs about 1215kg.

Anyone got the auto diesel Sorrento who tows?

Ta,

Steve

Old December 7th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

I have a sorento automatic and have been very satisfied with its towing
abilities, I have a 1500kg hymer and it handles it perfectly. If there is
any complaint it is fuel consumption, much discussed here before, I have
towed nearly 6000 miles now and recorded every litre and have consistantly
obtained 20 mpg towing and 23.5 solo.
I think the towing mpg is not unreasonable but I would'nt want to use it
everyday for general motoring at 23mpg
regards
Dave

Old December 7th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

"Stephen Reed" wrote in message
Hi to all,

Just about to change my car and considering the Kia Sorrento.

I like to go for the 2.5 Diesel Auto, because of my dickey leg, but don't
know if this will be best for towing!

My caravan is the Coachman Pastiche 460/2 and weighs about 1215kg.

Anyone got the auto diesel Sorrento who tows?

Its a shame you need an auto as the Sorento is, although a fine car, much
bigger than you would need to pull a 1215 van.

Obviously 2.5 and a auto will equal low MPG, is there no saloon or estate
that has a auto diesel, VW/Audi etc maybe? You can get passat 4motion (perm
4wd) for same money as a sorento but not sure if an auto box.

Steve

Old December 7th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

--

"Steve" wrote in message
k...

"Stephen Reed" wrote in message
Hi to all,

Just about to change my car and considering the Kia Sorrento.

I like to go for the 2.5 Diesel Auto, because of my dickey leg, but

don't
know if this will be best for towing!

My caravan is the Coachman Pastiche 460/2 and weighs about 1215kg.

Anyone got the auto diesel Sorrento who tows?

Its a shame you need an auto as the Sorento is, although a fine car, much
bigger than you would need to pull a 1215 van.

Obviously 2.5 and a auto will equal low MPG, is there no saloon or estate
that has a auto diesel, VW/Audi etc maybe? You can get passat 4motion

(perm
4wd) for same money as a sorento but not sure if an auto box.

Steve

I am sure you are correct in what you say but the other Steve did say he had
a problem with his leg and I wonder if this is the reason he is seeking a
4X4. I have an X-Trail and I find it much more comfortable as you are in an
upright postion at the wheel rather than almost lying down. I also have a
bit of a problem with my right leg and the X has certainly made life more
comfortable for me. Its just a pity that none of the smaller SUV's have an
auto box available in diesel.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old December 7th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"David Klyne" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
k...

[...]

I don't think that is correct. I understand the Land Rover Freelander TD4
(2001 ish on) when they went over to the BMW engine is available with an
auto box. As an SUV it is _overall_ better than most and has overcome the
previous Freelander model problems (unlike the X Trail diesel). I tow in
access of the original posters weight (+ a fair cabin load) with the TD4
manual and to be honest you don't notice much difference to solo .... it's a
real dream to tow with. Also, mine is fairly long in the tooth and has
covered 73k miles now and apart from normal services it has only had parts
that normally wear out (wiper blades, tyres, brake linings etc) changed.

Driving position is easy and comfortable ......... it could fit the bill

Richard

Old December 8th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Reed

Thanks, ermm... Back to the drawing board then.! 23mpg was the same as my
old Rover 827 auto when towing and about 30ish solo. Can't understand why so
low on mpg on a modern diesel? I thought it should be around the mid 30's
when towing and high 30' or low 40's solo?

Steve
"Richard" wrote in message

"David Klyne" wrote in message

k...