Hobby water supply - modification advice please.

Old August 20th 03, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

Default Hobby water supply - modification advice please.

I (amongst many others) have the 20 litre onboard water tank on
my Excellent Easy 495 Ufe. Its a pain to keep refilling it.

Doc & others have posted here that they have implemented some
sort of 'double pumping scheme'. That is to say, they use an aqua roll
placed outside the van that tops up the internal tank.

I see some drawbacks in this depending how it is implemented depending
on how and when the pump in the aquaroll is powered. Either it is on
at the same time as the main pump, in whcih case unless it pumps at
*exactly* the same rate as the main pump, the main tank will either
empty or overflow after a certain amount of time, or if it is
powered separately, some sort of ball value/switch would be needed to
turn it off when the main tank is full.

I am considering two other solutions:

a) Replace internal tank with a standard 'Crystal' type fitting to an
external
Aquaroll or similar.Cost - about 75 - gets me a water filter in the
water circuit
but means I have to cut a large hole in the wall of my new van.

b) Cut a hole in the floor and use the exsiting pump in an external
aquaroll. I need to find some sort of 'flap' I can use to close the hole
when not in use. I like the idea of doing this in the floor rather than the
wall
so it wont be seen.

Any advice gratefully recived!

regards,

Steve Harper.

Old August 20th 03, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smk

"Steve Harper" wrote in message
[...]

I recently fitted a 75 litre Fiamma on-board tank (cost, about 45) filled
through a lockable water inlet (15) The water is collected in an Aquaroll,
and pumped into the tank with a spare submersible pump - the filler has a
supply point built in, but any 12 volt socket/feed would suffice.

By cutting a suitable hole in top of the tank (I scribed it out with a pair
of Compass's) it's possible to fit the clear plastic insert from the
original Hobby tank that contains the level indicator , orginal submersible
pump, and wiring.

The level indicator is an almost exact match depthways, gives a fairly
accurate readout - and there is no
need to dismantle any of the associated wiring (Hobby always leave miles of
excess wiring, so no worries about reaching the new tank position)

I fitted the tank under a fixed bed - use 20mm timber to 'frame' around the
base of the tank - that leaves the tank easily removable if necessary (but
it doesn't move in transit)

When cutting the hole in side of caravan for the filler, scrape out the
insulation around the 'hole' and frame it out with 4 pieces of timber - this
gives something for the filler fixing screws to bite into, and also prevents
the walls from compressing under pressure.

A simpler way for the more faint hearted is to arrange a flexible filer tube
that can be accessed by opening the original water compartment 'door' (this
avoids any need to cut holes in the van - but is not as 'professional)

Total cost - less than 90, including all bits & pieces - the tank gives a
useful supply without the need to keep refilling the aquaroll, looks
'original', and is far superior to the ridiculous Hobby 'roll-tank'

Will e-mail pics if you want to consider this option further.

Old August 26th 03, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

Steve - didnt seem to be abile to e-mail you .... as it gets bounced,
I think I will attempt the same approach as you and bowtiejim,
can you provide details of the filler cap in particular...make/
supplier etc.

Thanks,

Steve Harper.

Old August 26th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smk

"Steve Harper" wrote in message
Steve - didnt seem to be abile to e-mail you .... as it gets bounced,
I think I will attempt the same approach as you and bowtiejim,
can you provide details of the filler cap in particular...make/
supplier etc.

Thanks,

Steve Harper.

MUCH against my better judgement, and in direct contravention of my new
policy of gross rudeness and complete unhelpfulness, the details are as
follows:

The make is 'Aquaflow' it's a rectangular plate (about as wide as a flush
fitting 240v inlet, but a couple of inches higher) that is fastened to the
van via 7 screws. In the centre is a lockable grey water cap (a bit like a
petrol cap) and above that is a two pin socket (matching plug supplied for
fitting to a submersible pump)

The hole required in the van to allow the filer part through is about 3 x
4 inches.

On advantage over the circular type fittings is that the resulting hole can
be more easily 'framed' around the edges with timer - thus preventing the
van wall being overly compressed when tightening the fixing screws

Old August 26th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

Thanks Steve - That was just the info I was looking for.

However, to help with you new policy, I can pretend your
answer was both offensive and completely unhelpful if you like.

Steve