Caravan tyres

Old December 8th 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

Default Caravan tyres

Have we any experts in this area?. I need two and have the choice of about
40 for "cheap brands" or 60-70 for well known brand names.
Since the manufacturer fitted a slovakian brand What do I get for the extra
money?
Tyre life is generally governed by age rather than wear eg my tyres have
done 23k and are perished in 5 years.
Will brand names last any better
Help will be appreciated
Dave

Old December 8th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GMails

"David Willdigg" wrote in message
o.uk...
Have we any experts in this area?. I need two and have the choice of about
40 for "cheap brands" or 60-70 for well known brand names.
Since the manufacturer fitted a slovakian brand What do I get for the

extra
money?
Tyre life is generally governed by age rather than wear eg my tyres have
done 23k and are perished in 5 years.
Will brand names last any better
Help will be appreciated
Dave

Too many variables to provide any real answer.

John
www.GMails.co.uk/forums

Old December 8th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , David
Willdigg writes
Have we any experts in this area?. I need two and have the choice of about
40 for "cheap brands" or 60-70 for well known brand names.
Since the manufacturer fitted a slovakian brand What do I get for the extra
money?
Tyre life is generally governed by age rather than wear eg my tyres have
done 23k and are perished in 5 years.
Will brand names last any better
Help will be appreciated
Dave

The eternal problem. If you buy cheap you get what you pay for, but
paying a lot doesn't necessarily guarantee quality.

If 40 tyres last 5 years and 60 tyres last 7 years (the max for any
tyre) then compare s per annum. The cheap ones are better value for
money. On the other hand if you plan to keep your van for 6 more years
then the 60 tyres are better cos you won't have to replace them before
you sell it.
(I was a consultant in a former life - can you tell?)
--
hugh

Old December 8th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bertrum flack

"GMails" wrote in message

"David Willdigg" wrote in message
o.uk...
Have we any experts in this area?. I need two and have the choice of

about
40 for "cheap brands" or 60-70 for well known brand names.
Since the manufacturer fitted a slovakian brand What do I get for the

extra
money?
Tyre life is generally governed by age rather than wear eg my tyres have
done 23k and are perished in 5 years.
Will brand names last any better
Help will be appreciated
Dave

Too many variables to provide any real answer.

John
www.GMails.co.uk/forums

Part of the problem is that some caravans spend a lot of time in storage in
one position, thus flat spots occur on the tyre, also we have found that its
the walls that go first. We change every two years for safety and pay around
45 per wheel, we don't compromise our safety for this sum every couple of
years, its really a small price to pay for peace of mind and what could be
your life.

Old December 9th 05, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 18:18:56 -0000, "David Willdigg"
wrote:

Tyre life is generally governed by age rather than wear eg my tyres have
done 23k and are perished in 5 years.
Will brand names last any better

CC recommend replacing caravan tires every 5 years regardless of
apparrent wear. I was dubious but having seen the damage that a blow
out did to my friends van I changed mine the last time the tyres
reaches 5 years old. They looked perfect from the outside, virtually
no wear on the treads. However on removing them one had a large bubble
on the inside where the case was coming apart from the tread. It would
have blown on the next trip down the motorway.
The van had been delivered with supposedly expensive tyres, I replaced
them with correctly rated tyres that were the cheapest that I was
offered, I never had any problems from the tyres, the caravan did not
behave any differently with the cheap tyres on, so when my present van
reaches 5 years old it will have similar tyres fitted.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old December 9th 05, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I have just replaced the Continental (car) tyres (max psi = 36) fitted to my
caravan with three cheap small truck tyres of 8-ply rating and max psi = 65,
costing around 30 each. I bought three (one for the spare wheel which I
always carry just in case).

All the best, Peter.