Cleaning pipes - any tips?

Old August 20th 03, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Collier

Default Cleaning pipes - any tips?

Hi -

Our Burstner has been standing half a year with water in the pipes (naughty
of me). Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the growth or algae or
whatever it is out of the water pipes.

TIA,
Steve Collier (Norway)

Old August 20th 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:53:14 +0200, "Steve Collier"
wrote:

| Hi -
|
| Our Burstner has been standing half a year with water in the pipes (naughty
| of me). Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the growth or algae or
| whatever it is out of the water pipes.

Periclean contains both detergent and sterilizer.

Dave Fawthrop No Orange Cable(5 of 9) High
power equipment is bad news. A 1000 watt heater used on its own, will
run for less than 1 1/2 hours, 500 watts less than 3 hours. 250 watts
some 5 hours
Old August 20th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Hall

wrote:

Hi -

Our Burstner has been standing half a year with water in the pipes (naughty
of me). Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the growth or algae or
whatever it is out of the water pipes.

TIA,
Steve Collier (Norway)

Suggest you try Bruclens. It is a cleaner, steriliser and deodoriser
all in one. You can buy it from Morrisons and it is first class for
the job you have in mind.
I would also suggest that you avoid the pipe cleaner used in pubs.
It is far too powerful and could attack any aluminium in your heayer
tank.
Old August 22nd 03, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AC

In article , Nick Phillips
writes
They
regualrly clean their beer pipes out

do you mean to say they do not clean them with .... beer?
--
AC
Old August 22nd 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AC

In article , Steve Collier
writes
Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the growth or
algae or whatever it is out of the water pipes

Milton baby bottle etc steriliser to diluted or stronger solution will
surely work for cleaning? Read the instructions too. The domestic Milton
size bottle also has a dilution stated for making 'camping' water safe
to drink after 30 minutes etc, although there is a certain something
about drinking that strength. But better than drinking untreated river
water and dying I suppose.

For my (motorhome) system which is fairly well sealed & normally fairly
fresh and clean, and filled with a clean hose from a (domestic) already
disinfected water supply (mains) then I generally add a small amount of
Milton (about a tenth or twentieth of the drinking recommended
concentration) to help keep it disinfected over the days it will be in
the tank. I have been told by someone who knew, that water should be
regarded similar to milk in the way it is kept and drinkable, bacteria
life etc.
--
AC
Old August 22nd 03, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:25:21 +0100, AC wrote:

| In article , Steve Collier
| writes
| Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the growth or
| algae or whatever it is out of the water pipes
|
| Milton baby bottle etc steriliser to diluted or stronger solution will
| surely work for cleaning?

Milton a dilute (a solution of salt and sodium hypochlorate) does not clean
it only sterilizes.

If your system contains any extrainios grot, a detergent is advisable. We
use Periclean which contains both detergent and sterilising agent.

| Read the instructions too. The domestic Milton
| size bottle also has a dilution stated for making 'camping' water safe
| to drink after 30 minutes etc, although there is a certain something
| about drinking that strength. But better than drinking untreated river
| water and dying I suppose.

Unlikely, Mains water is chlorinated, which should still be effective in
your van.

Dave Fawthrop No Orange Cable(9 of 9) Wireing.
TVs etc. need as many volts as possible. Thin long wires have a high
voltage drop. If possible add extra wireing for TV of thick wires
?2 sq mm? or preferably more, and as short runs as practicable.

Old August 22nd 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joseph Roulstone

Milton gets my vote every time.
Always use it.

Plus if your a fisherman ! Mix up a strong Milton mix in a large
bucket and throw it on the Lawn in the morning, and watch those worms
come to the surface ----------------- trust me ! It does work.
Honest

Joe R
Old August 22nd 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AC

In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes
Milton a dilute (a solution of salt and sodium hypochlorate) does not
clean it only sterilizes.

If your system contains any extrainios grot, a detergent is advisable.
We use Periclean which contains both detergent and sterilising agent

I had wondered. Does the algae float off or does it need some sort of
mechanical scouring?
--
AC
Old August 22nd 03, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:05:11 +0100, AC wrote:

| In article , Dave Fawthrop
| writes
| Mains water is chlorinated, which should still be effective in
| your van.
|
| Yes (I used to work for a water company) although it contains only
| enough to see it to the end of your road mains and into your (tap)
| house. After that - with time the chlorine will disappear - evaporate I
| suppose if in open containers (you can smell it sometimes as it comes
| out of the tap), recommended by the supply companies if you do not like
| the smell etc, or get used up by doing its work in your pipes etc.

Well water directly out of our tap does not smell of chlorine, dashhes
downstairs to smell water from the kitchen tap to a non smoker. Maybe
that is because it comes directly off the moors complete with a bit of
peat.

| So depending on how much we trust the particular supply (camp sites
| supplies seem a bit rough and ready sometimes), how clean the filling
| conditions were (raining, dusty, with care, or hasty etc), and how long
| it has been or will be in the tank, I like to put enough disinfectant in
| so that I can smell about the same amount from the van tap as I could at
| the tap in the house, even after a day or so.

Well any water which goes through an open pipe I class as doubtful, even
the hose I carry. Empty pipes are loved by insects. I would not use a
van without an activated carbon filter.

Dave Fawthrop Which brand of LPG? Camping gas,
costs the earth & is available throughout Europe. Calor gas is expensive &
is available widely in the UK only. Flogas is cheap, if you can find a
dealer where you are. The bigger the bottle the cheaper the gas.

Old August 22nd 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:08:04 +0100, AC wrote:

| In article , Dave Fawthrop
| writes
| Milton a dilute (a solution of salt and sodium hypochlorate) does not
| clean it only sterilizes.
|
| If your system contains any extrainios grot, a detergent is advisable.
| We use Periclean which contains both detergent and sterilising agent
|
| I had wondered. Does the algae float off or does it need some sort of
| mechanical scouring?

IME it dies and comes off the pipe.

Dave Fawthrop No Orange Cable(1 of 9) You can
caravan without that cable. Charge your battery before you leave, A new
110Ah Battery will last most people for a weekend, very few a week. For
longer than that you will have to recharge the battery somehow.