Stupid newbie question

Old August 20th 03, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick Phillips

Default Stupid newbie question

Hi everyone.
Sorry if this is an often asked question. I've just joined the newsgroup
but can't find a suitable thread on Google for my question. I'm sure it must
have been asked before so apologies in advance.

I am going to invest in my first caravan in the next couple of months with
the following criteria:

I have up to 8k to spend.
Sleeping two couples.
End bedroom required.
Preferably as large as possible
Towing with a Land Rover Defender 90.

My questions a

Could you make recommendations please?
New or second hand?
What traps should I be wary of?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Nick

Old August 22nd 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

Default Hobby (was - Stupid newbie question)

"Nick Phillips" wrote in message

"DaveK" wrote in message

" I have up to 8k to spend.
Sleeping two couples.
End bedroom required.
Preferably as large as possible
Towing with a Land Rover Defender 90.

Take someone with you who knows.
My neighbour bought an Abbey Brooklyn last year, 2001 model, hardly used
complete with awning and all kit. 8500 privately.
Dealers add thousands to buying in price so you'll do better privately.

But
you need an expert with you. Even new vans have damp, floor

delamination,
faulty wiring etc.
In my view most British caravans are made from standard bought in parts

and
to the same generally poor standard.
Re the end bedroom, there are fixed bed models available but that will
restrict you in living space during the day. I'd go for a large van with
dinette seats (they make double beds ) each end.
DaveK.

Cheers Dave. I'm thinking of going for a Hobby - they look fairly robust
and seem to have a good reputation. Has anyone got any views on them -

good
or bad - I'd be grateful to hear.

Nick

Most insurance companies will not insure them as they don't have any chassis
numbers or identity markings. They are also highly sort after by travellers.

I know of three being stolen from parks and drives in the last 2 months.

Dave

Old August 22nd 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Harper

Cheers Dave. I'm thinking of going for a Hobby - they look fairly
robust
and seem to have a good reputation. Has anyone got any views on them -

good
or bad - I'd be grateful to hear.

Nick

Most insurance companies will not insure them as they don't have any

chassis
numbers or identity markings. They are also highly sort after by

travellers.

I know of three being stolen from parks and drives in the last 2 months.

Dave

I have a 495UFe that I imported and CRIS registered. It is insured by the CC
no problem although stupidly HPI (who run CRIS), would not take my invioce
from a german dealer as evidence the van was new so its registered as
'pre-1992', but at lease it is registered and accordingly tagged and
security
marked - got a discount on the insurance for it too!

I do have 3 security devices on the van as well....

Hitch lock, Wheel clamp and motorbike-style whelded chain and shrouded
padlock tying it to a ring set in concrete. I hope that will discourage
light fingers,
but it may not!

Steve H

Old August 22nd 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick Phillips

"Funkyman" wrote in message

Most insurance companies will not insure them as they don't have any

chassis
numbers or identity markings. They are also highly sort after by

travellers.

I know of three being stolen from parks and drives in the last 2 months.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have noticed that travellers favour them and thought that if
people can live in them 365 days a year then they must be good. I didn't
realise about the insurance - is this because they are German, have no
chassis numbers and therefore untraceable when they are stolen? In which
case I may take a look around some campsites with my truck (joke!).

Nick

Old August 22nd 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:21:18 +0100, "Nick Phillips"
wrote:

is this because they are German

There is no problem insuring Hymer caravans, in addition to chassis
number and CRIS number they also have a serial number which is
registered at Hymer and which is stamped by the manufacturer on all
the peripheral devices. It's even stamped on the cassette that you
take out.
(remove the spam to reply)