Storm precautions

Old December 12th 05, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Default Storm precautions

I've got some hefty corkscrew ground anchors - but what's the best way
of tying the caravan down? Use the steadies? A rope over the top? Or
attached to the grab handles?
Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
--

Paul Rooney
Old December 12th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:59:02 +0000, Paul Rooney
wrote:

| I've got some hefty corkscrew ground anchors - but what's the best way
| of tying the caravan down? Use the steadies? A rope over the top? Or
| attached to the grab handles?
| Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Where is the van situated?
Sheltered by trees/buildings to the Southwest? Stop worrying.
On an exposed cliff top? you may have a problem.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Old December 12th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old December 12th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

wrote:

| I've got some hefty corkscrew ground anchors - but what's the best way
| of tying the caravan down? Use the steadies? A rope over the top? Or
| attached to the grab handles?
| Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Where is the van situated?
Sheltered by trees/buildings to the Southwest? Stop worrying.
On an exposed cliff top? you may have a problem.

Something over the top is the most common practice in the NW Highlands
and they have the experience. Suggest straps as they spread the load
better than rope.
Old December 12th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Old December 12th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

wrote:

| I've got some hefty corkscrew ground anchors - but what's the best way
| of tying the caravan down? Use the steadies? A rope over the top? Or
| attached to the grab handles?
| Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Where is the van situated?
Sheltered by trees/buildings to the Southwest? Stop worrying.
On an exposed cliff top? you may have a problem.

Exposed sites in Scotland, probably, Dave!

Something over the top is the most common practice in the NW Highlands
and they have the experience. Suggest straps as they spread the load
better than rope.

Cheers, Dougal.
--

Paul Rooney
Old December 12th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Rooney

Old December 12th 05, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike B

I tend to just park the car on the windward side on the theory that it's a
little more aerodynamic than a 'van. On the north Devon Coast I have had a
'van move enough so that the steadies came off the blocks but that was a
twist rather than a rock. In the spring of 1990 a local whirlwind "rocked"
our old sprite into the barn that it was next to, but ever so gently, so
very little damage, in fact more so putting it upright again!
Mike

Old December 13th 05, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:43:22 +0000, Paul Rooney
wrote:

| On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 21:47:03 +0000, Dougal
| DougalAThiskennel.free-online.co.uk wrote:
|
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:59:02 +0000, Paul Rooney
| wrote:
|
| | I've got some hefty corkscrew ground anchors - but what's the best way
| | of tying the caravan down? Use the steadies? A rope over the top? Or
| | attached to the grab handles?
| | Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.
|
| Where is the van situated?
| Sheltered by trees/buildings to the Southwest? Stop worrying.
| On an exposed cliff top? you may have a problem.
|
| Exposed sites in Scotland, probably, Dave!

Well if you are only worried about the occasional weekend in
Sheildaig, when you are actually in the van, I personally would do
nothing much. If the weather ?forecast? is really bad I would
hightail it back home, or to a sheltered site.