Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sportage for towing?

Old December 17th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KDM

Default Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sportage for towing?

I am considering switching from my (Company) Passat 1.9TDi estate to a
(private & therefore lowish cost) 4x4, mainly for stability reasons and
reducing the frequency of getting stuck on soggy CL's etc. The Kia Sorento
looks to have too high fuel consumption, the Hyundai Tucson has had bad
reviews for fuel consumption on some web sites, so my short list currently
contains the Santa Fe and Sportage. I realise that the Sportage and Tucson
are pretty much the same under the skin but nevertheless would appreciate
feedback on the Sportage. The Santa Fe has been described in some road
tests as "frugal" (which is puzzling as it has basically the same engine as
the Tucson & Sportage). I currently tow 1250kg but at some point in the
future (when pennies permit) might need to tow circa 1400kg. The Santa Fe
is preferable from a luggage capacity point of view, but is the rear
suspension too soggy for stable towing? I can't remember seeing any tests
or info in magazines about it's towing capabilities, so again, feedback
would be welcome.

Old December 18th 05, 06:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry

"KDM" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 03 plate Santa Fe and have towed all over with it. I personally
find it just the job.
I tow a Lexon with it no problems at all. Its all down to personal choice as
I am sure you
will find out very shortly.

Old December 18th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
KDM

"Jerry" wrote in message

"KDM" wrote in message
[...]

Jerry - thanks for the feedback. If your Santa Fe is a diesel, what mpg do
get solo and towing?

Old December 18th 05, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
news.tiscali.co.uk

I test drove a Santa Fe during the summer and found it underpowered. It was
brand new so I guess it needed to be driven in but I much preferred the
better thrust you got from the Kia Sorento. After the testing of the Santa
Fe and the Sorento we didnt bother testing the Sportage. We went and bought
an 18mnths old Sorento and get 29/30 mpg around town. Would expect more on a
longer run but we dont do any of those without the caravan on the back and I
dont record consumption whilst we are having fun away from home!

Old December 18th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

I can tell you that if you checked the consumption towing it would be 21mpg
max for an automatic which isnt good but it tows like a dream.
Dave

Old December 18th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jerry

"KDM" wrote in message
[...]

For KDM Yes my Santa Fe is the 2.0 Diesel and I am afraid I have never
clocked the fuel figures.
All I know is that it has never let me down and the navigator likes the view
from up there LoL.