Nissan Pathfinder

Old December 17th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bacon

Default Nissan Pathfinder

Anyone towing their caravan with a Nissan Pathfinder? I have one of these
cars (new purchase) but
the towbar (fitted by the Nissan garage) has the towball set too high (480mm
from ground to centre
of towball) so the caravan when attached is not level. The front of the
outfit when attached in fact
points skywards, I have read this is unstable when towing at 50-60mph as he
caravan with a nose up
attitude can act like a wing and lift the weight from the back of the car.

Comments ? Any Pathfinder owners out there towing a caravan ? If so which
towbar are you using ??

Old December 18th 05, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"John Bacon" wrote in message
Anyone towing their caravan with a Nissan Pathfinder? I have one of these
cars (new purchase) but
the towbar (fitted by the Nissan garage) has the towball set too high
(480mm from ground to centre
of towball) so the caravan when attached is not level. The front of the
outfit when attached in fact
points skywards, I have read this is unstable when towing at 50-60mph as
he caravan with a nose up
attitude can act like a wing and lift the weight from the back of the car.

Comments ? Any Pathfinder owners out there towing a caravan ? If so which
towbar are you using ??

I thought that the height of the tow-ball was now governed by EU law to
within quite a small tolerance. I am certain though that the old get out of
using a drop plate is now banned. Have you told the dealer that the ball is
too high?

Yes, nose up is less than ideal dynamically and in addition will cause you
problems getting on and off the ferries and going up and down steep drives
and entrances.

Old December 18th 05, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Jim came up with the following;:
"John Bacon" wrote in message
Anyone towing their caravan with a Nissan Pathfinder? I have one of
these cars (new purchase) but
the towbar (fitted by the Nissan garage) has the towball set too high
(480mm from ground to centre
of towball) so the caravan when attached is not level. The front of the
outfit when attached in fact
points skywards, I have read this is unstable when towing at 50-60mph as
he caravan with a nose up
attitude can act like a wing and lift the weight from the back of the
car.

Absolutely. Nose up is all wrong. Nose down is better, but level is
optimum, obviously.

I thought that the height of the tow-ball was now governed by EU law to
within quite a small tolerance. I am certain though that the old get out
of using a drop plate is now banned. Have you told the dealer that the
ball is too high?

Still legal for Landrovers, I dunno about 'normal' cars.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old December 18th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"John Bacon" wrote in message
Anyone towing their caravan with a Nissan Pathfinder? I have one of these
cars (new purchase) but
the towbar (fitted by the Nissan garage) has the towball set too high
(480mm from ground to centre
of towball)

Caravan Club Technical Data states: Distance to centre of towball with car
loaded but without trailer attached should be between 350 and 420mms.
4x4 vehicles however are exempt from the requirement- in order to preserve
their off road ground clearance.
As this may compromise towing stability a height adjustable towbar may be
desirable.
Seems that Nissan supply towbars for use with farm trailers and the like.
Maybe not your garage's fault.
Measure the height from ground to centre of tow hitch with the caravan on
level ground. That's the height required of the towball when hitched up.
Probably 360mms.
DaveK.

Old December 18th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

OK thanks to all so far - I am still in discussion with the Nissan garage
about this, they are
going to contact their own tech support people to see what they can find out
(no one at the
Garage itself has an answer). Nissan do offer three types of towbar for this
car but all look
like they set the towball at the same height of 480mm.
I measured the ground to towball centre distance yesterday with the caravan
connected up
to the car, this distance was 460mm (about 100mm too high for a level
caravan) noseweight
on the caravan is about 90kgs so the ball only drops 20mm when connected up.
I may talk to the Caravan Club - they looked at this car as part of there
towcar of the
year awards, perhaps they will know what type of towing bracket they used.
regards John

Old December 18th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hodge

Hi John

Haven't had my new Pathfnder fitted with a towbar yet, planned to get it
done in early spring by and independent supplier, will be interested to hear
the outcome of your problem.

Mine's the 2.5 diesel, was initially concerned about the 'lack of power'
comments in some road tests, admittedly haven't towed with it yet but solo
it has excellent get up and go!

Hodge