Hobby tyres

Old December 18th 05, 05:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Hobby tyres

I had to replace the tyres on my 495 this year as radial indentations had
appeared at random spacing around the side walls of both tyres. I mentioned
this to the Dutch dealer from whom I had bought the van in 2002. He said
that Hobby had replaced the tyres on the 495 sometime during 2002/3 with
uprated ones as a number of customers had experienced problems. I had
myself noted that the combined loading limit for the two tyres was in fact
less than the maximum permitted weight, but had made the assumption that
Hobby knew what they were doing - stupid of me!

Jim

Old December 18th 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Jim" wrote in message
I had to replace the tyres on my 495 this year as radial indentations had
appeared at random spacing around the side walls of both tyres.

I discovered one dent as you describe when away in France a couple of years
ago. That's when l'homme at Feu Vert fitted a car tyre to the rim- max
pressure 44psi, when the spec is commercial tyre at 54psi.
I then went to another place and the guy there thought my indented tyre was
ok to use, just a mould mark on the sidewall.
I wasn't convinced and bought new.
Reminder- despite remarks from one obtuse reader, there's nothing wrong in
using part worn tyres on caravans. They age out before they wear out (unless
you're towing over 10,000 miles a year). If they were unfit for the purpose,
tyre houses wouldn't be allowed to sell them. Mostly they are imported from
Scandinavian countries where drivers replace tyres annually when there's
still loads of life left.
DaveK.

Old December 18th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"davek" wrote in message

.. Mostly they are imported from
Scandinavian countries where drivers replace tyres annually when there's
still loads of life left.

Very interesting, wonder why they do that?

Please reply to News Group

Old December 18th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

--

More ice and snow than here -well it used to be, and they have to replace at
3mms (I think). That's only half worn for most tyres.

Old December 18th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
someone here

"David" wrote in message
news

"davek" wrote in message

. Mostly they are imported from
Scandinavian countries where drivers replace tyres annually when there's
still loads of life left.

Very interesting, wonder why they do that?

Winter Tyres - minimum tyre tread depth 4mm

Germany - TuV test (equivalent to MOT) tyres must have (AFAIK) minimum of
3mm tread.

Scandinavian countries are similar.

'Green' recycling rules state that a tyre manufacturor must take back the
old tyres, they then get transported to a country where they are still legal
(ie UK)

Dave

Old December 19th 05, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

'Green' recycling rules state that a tyre manufacturor must take back the
old tyres, they then get transported to a country where they are still
legal
(ie UK)

and at about 15 for a year old tyre, clearly suitable for use on caravans.
(Where are you now with your offensive personal remarks Bertram John
Franks?)
DaveK.