Carver Thames Pump

Old December 20th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Carver Thames Pump

I think I just about killed our Carver Thames pump last time we were out
vanning, we returned from a day out to find the pump running (probably had
been all day). I had been meddling with the pressure switch and had
obviously set it too "close". It still works but I would not like to rely on
it as I have no spare (saw one on the side of the A19 the other week but
nowhere to stop), besides that the grit filter is missing.

I was wondering is it possible to replace just the pump with one from
Towsure

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=6334

Does anyone know what the flow rate for the original pump was and would
there be any drawbacks to fitting a higher rated pump, apart from emptying
the waterhog faster. I was wondering about using the whale 921 for example.

This is getting complicated now, I have just read that I should have a surge
damper fitted to protect the pressure switch, comments on this as well
please.

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old December 21st 05, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steptoe

"billy whizz" wrote in message
I think I just about killed our Carver Thames pump last time we were out
vanning, we returned from a day out to find the pump running (probably had
been all day). I had been meddling with the pressure switch and had
obviously set it too "close". It still works but I would not like to rely

on
it as I have no spare (saw one on the side of the A19 the other week but
nowhere to stop), besides that the grit filter is missing.

If it was running in water than it is unlikely to have come to any harm
(think *pond pumps*), if however it had pumped it's container dry, yes then
maybe a spare is a good idea

Old December 21st 05, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

The Whale 921 would be your best bet, as it will give almost 50% more
flow than the Thames, which is the Whale 801.
It Is simple fix, remove the clips, unscrew the cable grip sgrews, and
having first tied a piece of thread to the end of this wire, pill it
out from the hose.
Now simply transfer the thread to the wire on the new pump, and reverse
the proceedure.
I prefer to replace the hose clips with nylon cable ties.
You will find that this will give a much stronger flow at the shower
head and taps.
We always swithc off the power supply to the pump before going out. If
you don,t have one, it would be very easy to fit at a convenient point.

Old December 21st 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnh

[...]

If its a diaphragm pump it should be okay as they will generally run for
ever dry, whereas the cheaper centrifugal pumps will suffer if run dry.

The pump you currently have, has a built-in pressure switch, where as the
pump your thinking of getting needs an external pressure switch with a
non-return valve or use taps with micro-switches wired back to the pump.

Try these people for pumps, I've always found them helpful and
knowledgeable. They also answer emails promptly )

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/taps+pumps/pumps01.htm

HTH
John