Just a couple of basic questions

Old December 21st 05, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Just a couple of basic questions

Question One

We have a bradcot awning for our van, I have only used it once on grass and
was thinking that if we end up on a site with hardstanding I will need some
metal pegs, will I need all metal pegs and to save me getting the awning out
how many roughly will I need?

I already have some plastic pegs but managed to smash the tops off a couple
while pitching on a compacted grass pitch so I doubt that they will "cut the
mustard" on a hardstanding.

Question Two

I am considering fitting a roller screen door to the 'van, has anyone any
experience of this and any suggestions for a supplier?

Thanks.
--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old December 21st 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Question One

We have a bradcot awning for our van, I have only used it once on grass
and was thinking that if we end up on a site with hardstanding I will need
some metal pegs, will I need all metal pegs and to save me getting the
awning out how many roughly will I need?

snip

You will need metal pegs all round. Normally (Ime) sites that have hard
standings also sell metal pegs, and those available at CC sites are less
expensive than those from retail outlets. You will probably need about 18/24
....... depends on size of awning.

I already have some plastic pegs but managed to smash the tops off a
couple while pitching on a compacted grass pitch so I doubt that they will
"cut the mustard" on a hardstanding.

They will not ........... I know one or two sites were even metal pegs are
not good enough without some preparation work beforehand. CC site at
Brighton springs to mind ..... the hard standing mix has apparently reacted
with the local underlying soil. many of the hard standings are like ******
car parks.

Richard

Old December 21st 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I would not buy a sliding door flyscreen. We have had these on our last 2
caravans and they are not nearly as good as the curtain type that we had
previously.
I cannot remember the name of it but it hung from the top of the door lintel
(inside) and had 3 grey 9" wide (I think) drapes, each with a plastic insert
at the base to keep them in position. It did the job perfectly and was a
lot easier to pass through. You could just brush it aside with one hand and
it fell back into place again.
It cost us around 30 and was easy to fit. it could be rolled up when not
required.
I am sure that it is still available but do not know the supplier.

Old December 24th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Stewart" wrote in message
I would not buy a sliding door flyscreen. We have had these on our last 2
caravans and they are not nearly as good as the curtain type that we had
previously.
I cannot remember the name of it but it hung from the top of the door

lintel
(inside) and had 3 grey 9" wide (I think) drapes, each with a plastic

insert
at the base to keep them in position. It did the job perfectly and was a
lot easier to pass through. You could just brush it aside with one hand

and
it fell back into place again.
It cost us around 30 and was easy to fit. it could be rolled up when not
required.
I am sure that it is still available but do not know the supplier.

Fiamma or omnistore, both do them, 15 or 19 quid at the shows.

Old January 16th 06, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ted Ashby

You will need to ask for 'rock pegs'. These look like very long nails. Do
not confuse with ordinary metal pegs which will also bend if you try to use
them on a hardstanding.