Battery

« - | - »

Old December 28th 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CeeTee

Default Battery

Hi all, Is there a battery that can be used for starting and deep cycle
use? I only have room for one battery in my vehicle when we go camping
but need power for our lights etc as well. cheers and Happy New Year!!
Old December 28th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:06:59 +1300, CeeTee wrote:

| Hi all, Is there a battery that can be used for starting and deep cycle
| use? I only have room for one battery in my vehicle when we go camping
| but need power for our lights etc as well. cheers and Happy New Year!!

The battery which is specified for the vehicle will work fine *and*
run the lights etc. Get the biggest and best you can. If you flatten
this battery with the lights you will need one of those power pack
things to start the vehicle next morning.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...26homeRef%3 D
http://tinyurl.com/c9gbj
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Some of my Hobbies: VDU Glasses
http://tinyurl.com/c3lh, Wordlists http://tinyurl.com/c3lj, Celtic fonts
Old December 28th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old December 29th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:06:59 +1300, CeeTee wrote:

| Hi all, Is there a battery that can be used for starting and deep cycle
| use? I only have room for one battery in my vehicle when we go camping
| but need power for our lights etc as well. cheers and Happy New Year!!

The battery which is specified for the vehicle will work fine *and*
run the lights etc. Get the biggest and best you can. If you flatten
this battery with the lights you will need one of those power pack
things to start the vehicle next morning.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...&homeRef=&ts=9
8435&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D63609%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3
http://tinyurl.com/c9gbj

If you deep-cycle a starting (cranking) battery it won't last long as it
is not designed for that purpose.

To answer the OP's question, Elecsol offer a carbon-fibre battery with a
5-year guarantee which is designed for cranking and deep-cycle use.

I have 2 of them.

http://www.elecsol.com
--
Mr X
Old December 29th 05, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr X

In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Old December 29th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kt'67

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:06:59 +1300, CeeTee wrote:

| Hi all, Is there a battery that can be used for starting and deep cycle
| use? I only have room for one battery in my vehicle when we go camping
| but need power for our lights etc as well. cheers and Happy New Year!!

The battery which is specified for the vehicle will work fine *and*
run the lights etc. Get the biggest and best you can. If you flatten
this battery with the lights you will need one of those power pack
things to start the vehicle next morning.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...&homeRef=&ts=9
8435&destination=/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp%3Fid%3D63609%26slotName%3Dnull%26homeRef%3
http://tinyurl.com/c9gbj

If you deep-cycle a starting (cranking) battery it won't last long as it
is not designed for that purpose.

To answer the OP's question, Elecsol offer a carbon-fibre battery with a
5-year guarantee which is designed for cranking and deep-cycle use.

I have 2 of them.

http://www.elecsol.com
--
Mr X

I can second this, we regularly fit our Mercedes Sprinters out to be used as
on site testing vehicles. These require an auxiliary battery both for
starting a large diesel compressor and to run various pieces of equipment
including lights which regularly get left switched on over night (numptys
!!) These work well using a smart com split charge relay, very low
maintenance and very reliable..... so far
http://www.elecsol.com

Old December 29th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kt'67

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Old December 30th 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Battery (while we are on the subject)

What does anyone advise for overwinter battery care?

Do I just leave it alone and charge it before venturing out again (probably
may time)
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
once
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
repeatedly
Do I leave the 'van on the electric hook up from the garage and let it
trickle all winter?

TIA
--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

"kt'67" SPAM BLOCKED wrote in message

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Old December 30th 05, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

What does anyone advise for overwinter battery care?

Do I just leave it alone and charge it before venturing out again (probably
may time)
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
once
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
repeatedly
Do I leave the 'van on the electric hook up from the garage and let it
trickle all winter?

TIA
--
Jim
North Derbyshire
UK.
______________________________________

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

"kt'67" SPAM BLOCKED wrote in message

"Mr X" wrote in message
In article , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Old December 30th 05, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kt'67

"billy whizz" wrote in message
What does anyone advise for overwinter battery care?

Do I just leave it alone and charge it before venturing out again
(probably may time)
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
once
Do I slowly discharge it by leaving a light on and then re-charge it fully
repeatedly
Do I leave the 'van on the electric hook up from the garage and let it
trickle all winter?

TIA
--
Jim
North Derbyshire
UK.

snip - for clarity

These are great for long term storage. I have used the older model for a
couple of years, worth a read
http://www.optimate.co.uk/

« - | - »