Life of tyres, now longer?

Old January 3rd 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Life of tyres, now longer?

We allways seem to have a running thread on caravan tyre life, which allways
seem feature recomendations of a change of tyre at 6 years old.
Forgive me for bring the subject up yet again but I've been reading the
advice given in the January CC mag. from the Tyre Industry Council.
They have advised all tyre uses and retailers not to fit tyres which are
over 6 years old, and not to use tyres which are more than 10 years old.
The letter on this is on page 17 and contains info. on tell the age of a
tyre and advice on axle stands when a caravan is not in use.
The advice in the letter is agreed by a Technical Officer of the CC.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 3rd 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

David came up with the following;:
We allways seem to have a running thread on caravan tyre life, which
allways seem feature recomendations of a change of tyre at 6 years old.
Forgive me for bring the subject up yet again but I've been reading the
advice given in the January CC mag. from the Tyre Industry Council.
They have advised all tyre uses and retailers not to fit tyres which are
over 6 years old, and not to use tyres which are more than 10 years old.
The letter on this is on page 17 and contains info. on tell the age of a
tyre and advice on axle stands when a caravan is not in use.
The advice in the letter is agreed by a Technical Officer of the CC.

I'll still change mine for new ones when I buy a new (normally second hand)
'van ... dunno how they've been treated/used/abused, and then every five
years whatever the mileage, or before that if tread depth gets lower than
standard car tread depth or if there are other problems with a tyre. I
always replace as a matched and balanced set of three and rotate them every
month or so.

What others do, want to do, want me to do is immaterial really ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old January 3rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"David" wrote in message

They have advised all tyre uses and retailers not to fit tyres which are
over 6 years old, and not to use tyres which are more than 10 years old.

I must admit to having delayed changing my (1992) caravan tyres until 2003.
I checked them regularly and there was no sign of degradation. The Kwikfit
fitter thought I was loopy, changing tyres that looked almost new.

Cheers
Andrew Kay

Old January 3rd 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Andrew Kay wrote:

I must admit to having delayed changing my (1992) caravan tyres until
2003. I checked them regularly and there was no sign of degradation. The
Kwikfit fitter thought I was loopy, changing tyres that looked
almost new.

I would have agreed with you until September 2003! Until then, I was still
using the hardly-worn tyres on my van - new in 1991. I did check them
regularly for cuts and bulges.

Then I arrived at a site in Scotland to find one of the tyres bulging - and
a lot of steel re-inforcing wires sticking out through the sidewall.
Fortunately, the tyre hadn't gone down significantly - but a sudden blowout
at speed could have been very unpleasant.

Needless to say, I replaced *both* tyres *and* the unused spare in pretty
short order!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 3rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andrew Kay" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message

They have advised all tyre uses and retailers not to fit tyres which are
over 6 years old, and not to use tyres which are more than 10 years old.

I must admit to having delayed changing my (1992) caravan tyres until
2003. I checked them regularly and there was no sign of degradation. The
Kwikfit fitter thought I was loopy, changing tyres that looked almost new.

Apparently it is the inside where the problem comes from.
This is recent advice so hopefull today your fitter would give different
advice.
Incidently, a little used tyre is more at risk.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 3rd 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"David" wrote in message

"Andrew Kay" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message

They have advised all tyre uses and retailers not to fit tyres which are
over 6 years old, and not to use tyres which are more than 10 years old.

I must admit to having delayed changing my (1992) caravan tyres until
2003. I checked them regularly and there was no sign of degradation. The
Kwikfit fitter thought I was loopy, changing tyres that looked almost
new.

Apparently it is the inside where the problem comes from.
This is recent advice so hopefull today your fitter would give different
advice.
Incidently, a little used tyre is more at risk.

Removing the wheels when the van is stored helps, as much of the problems
are the tyre sagging with the weight of the van and not being moved.

Alan

Please reply to News Group