Levelling Twin Axle Vans

Old January 5th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pheasant Plucker

Default Levelling Twin Axle Vans

Hi,

How do any of you chaps who have Twin Axle Vans find the easiest way to
level them?

Not sure about ramps and have heard that some use a build up of planks or
boards?

PP.

Old January 6th 06, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Pheasant Plucker" wrote in message
Hi,

How do any of you chaps who have Twin Axle Vans find the easiest way to
level them?
Not sure about ramps and have heard that some use a build up of planks or
boards?

My pal has a twin axle and there's no problem on sloping ground if you park
in line with the slope-adjust the level with the jockey wheel as with a
single axle.
You might need long ramps,levelling boards and jacks to park across the
slope, so don't attempt to do it.
If the emplacement is sloping across the incline, it shouldn't be a caravan
site.
DaveK.

Old January 6th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"davek" wrote in
:

If the emplacement is sloping across the incline, it shouldn't be a
caravan site.

There are many certified locations and "full-sized" campsites that have a
sideways slope across the way that most would pitch up. On many campsites
you need to pitch across the slope, even if the operators let you point
the 'van in any direction you choose. For example, I know several sites
where the slope is enough to ensure that you can't level a six or seven
metre 'van fore & aft when aligned with the slope. Also, if you have
waste outlets at the back of the 'van, pitching with the back of the van
on the uphill side can mean that you can't get your waste container under
the outlet with the 'van level on even a five metre 'van.

These are all reasons why you'd want, on some sites, to pitch across the
slope, and why twin axles can be a problem. FWIW, I asked the same
question as Pheasant Plucker when considering a twin-axle 'van. The
wheels and act as a ramp) or to use a standard leveling device on one of
the two wheels on the low side. I didn't like the sound of either option,
although the stack of boards seemed the most sensible. However I never
tested these methods because I ended up with a single axle 'van 300 kg
lighter than the twin I was considering!

BTW, I wonder whether Pheasant Plucker was a member of the Pheasant
Pluckers band that used to play in the Plume at Princetown.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old January 6th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:46:46 -0000, "davek"
wrote:

| If the emplacement is sloping across the incline, it shouldn't be a caravan
| site.

Ooh listen to him!
Only the poshest sites, level with *emplacements* are allowed, get rid
of the rest!

We carry plastic wedges all the time, and others carry blocks of wood
to level the van.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Old January 6th 06, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old January 6th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

The way I level my twin axle, from front to rear I use the Jockey Wheel and
from side to side I use the yellow plastic wedge/ramp you only need to use
the wedge on one wheel. I have seen people dig an hole Fawthrop does this?

Keith

snip

Old January 6th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy E

I have heard a rumour that running a twin axle for example up a 32"long
purpose made wooden ramp(5"raise) would twist the chassis eventually. Due to
the 2 wheels being at different levels?

Is there any truth in this wives tale?????

Because I would say this would be the easiest method?

AE