Electric in France

Old January 7th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

Default Electric in France

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:37:23 GMT, "David"
wrote:

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

French power outlets are either double pole switched or unswitched.

If you change the sockets in your van to double pole switched ones you
don't need to worry about polarity.
Sockets made by MEM Delta, Volex & Contactum are some of the ones that
are.
The pretty coloured made by Australian company Clipsil which are
fitted by most UK manufactures are only single pole switched.

Lenny
Old January 7th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round
comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

French power outlets are either double pole switched or unswitched.

If you change the sockets in your van to double pole switched ones you
don't need to worry about polarity.
Sockets made by MEM Delta, Volex & Contactum are some of the ones that
are.
The pretty coloured made by Australian company Clipsil which are
fitted by most UK manufactures are only single pole switched.

Yes but what difference does this make in practice?

Please reply to News Group

Old January 7th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:21:04 GMT, "David"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round
comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

French power outlets are either double pole switched or unswitched.

If you change the sockets in your van to double pole switched ones you
don't need to worry about polarity.
Sockets made by MEM Delta, Volex & Contactum are some of the ones that
are.
The pretty coloured made by Australian company Clipsil which are
fitted by most UK manufactures are only single pole switched.

Yes but what difference does this make in practice?

Single pole switching can be dangerous if you had a faulty product
with a metal housing.
e.g. earth was disconnected & live was connected to metal case you
switch off the socket but with reverse polarity you have you would
still have a live connection to the metal casing - very dangerous.

Sounds far fetched but in practice very common:- cable gets pulled
(tripped over) earth connection pulls out in 13 A plug & touches the
live connection.

In my last van I changed the sockets to Double Pole Switched, current
van is a German Hobby with unswitched continental sockets so you have
to pull the plug out.

Lenny

Old January 7th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:21:04 GMT, "David"

Single pole switching can be dangerous if you had a faulty product
with a metal housing.
e.g. earth was disconnected & live was connected to metal case you
switch off the socket but with reverse polarity you have you would
still have a live connection to the metal casing - very dangerous.

Sounds far fetched but in practice very common:- cable gets pulled
(tripped over) earth connection pulls out in 13 A plug & touches the
live connection.

In my last van I changed the sockets to Double Pole Switched, current
van is a German Hobby with unswitched continental sockets so you have
to pull the plug out.

Now 2 things introduced here
1 Earth comeing loose.
2 live and neutral reversed, which I thought we were talking about.

1 In your in your example of earth toughing live or neutral can't see that
the switch type at socket would make a difference.
In a fault case I would hope the protection in the caravan would opperate.

Some of the units in my caravan do have metal cases, and are not earthed,
indeed they have 'loose' leads which plug into the unit with a figure of
eight plug which is reversable, so makes no difference which way round live
and neutral are on the caravan site.

The item with an earth pin is plastic.

Thanks for your replies but sorry can't see a problem with live and neutral
being reversed on a site socket, nor any improvement by changeing sockets on
caravan.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 7th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpsons

[...]

A single pole switch, will switch the live feed to an appliance on & off. If
the polarity is reversed the neutral will be switched instead of the live,
leaving 240v on one leg of the appliance. In non fault conditions this will
not matter, but if a fault occurs in the wiring to or within the appliance,
there could be a chance of metal parts becoming live.
The French use double poled switches, switching on & off both live & neutral
so need not worry about reversals.
It is true that in the case of a fault you would hope that the vans
protection circuits would trip, but there is no guarantee of this, why take
a chance.
Non earthed appliances would be double insulated and would not be affected
by live neutral reversal.

Fred