Travel to Quimper

Old January 6th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Travel to Quimper

This summer the family and I are planning our holiday to Quimper.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Ferries to Brittany.
We cannot decide upon the Portsmouth - St Malo or Plymouth -
Roscoff...what are the opinions ??

Also as we stay in London overnight, how long would the drive take from
Richmond to Plymouth, different route planners give different
times...can anyone give me a best guess. We would be travelling on a
Sunday evening for the 23:00 ferry.

thanks in advance

Peter

Old January 6th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Speedbird

"Peter" wrote in message
ps.com...
This summer the family and I are planning our holiday to Quimper.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Ferries to Brittany.
We cannot decide upon the Portsmouth - St Malo or Plymouth -
Roscoff...what are the opinions ??

Having done Plymouth-Roscoff and Portsmouth-Caen, I am plumping for the
Tunnel every time. Ok, it is a long drive from Coquelles to Quimper, but you
will definitely save money on the crossing - 140 return for August return
trip against 500 + on the ferries. If your starting point is London, time
will probably be about equal as you have an infinite variety of departure
times through the tunnel. You can also break your journey in northern France
on your way to Quimper.

Just my tuppence

Old January 6th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Cheers David,

Starting point is Scotland, London is a family visit. I have a young
family and they found the drive south last year quite difficult almost
as much as SWMBO....

Peter

Old January 6th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Unless you are loaded do the tunnel or ferry and stop off in Normandy on the
way down save a packet and Normandy is smashing

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old January 7th 06, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

We did that exact trip last year see my post on this news group "worth
every penny" and why you should take out Cc insurance.

We stayed 15 miles north of Quimper at beautiful Chateluin at a Brit
owner site that was very good indeed and quiet.

I would do as all the other posts have said drive down from a ferry at
3120 return. Yes the St Malo trip will save you half a day and be less
tiring but you still have a 5 hour drive off the end. But it will cost
upwards of 700. Also there are ferries ever hour not two a day fully
booked.

We drove from the ferry Calais leaving 6am and with a stop for a nap
around 11am arrived at the site in 10 hours. The roads are fine and
apart from the last 100 or so duel carriageways.

I would drop off halfway in Caen if you don't want to do the whole way
in one.

Depends what you want to do but we thought above Qimper (Camper) far
nicer than around and below. Brest and the coast above is very special
but very quiert. Cap de raz is a must as is the Cotin.

There is a photo show of the trip at

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/

log in with my user name

skynner

and its the first show on the left.

You will have to download a small show progamme that is safe and will
not effect the computer to view the show.

If you want any other info e mail me.

Have fun
Peter.

Old January 7th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I would also take in Benodet and Camaret both beautiful I just love it at
Camaret Le Grand large is a good site used it a few times now.