Electric in France

Old January 6th 06, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Electric in France

Hello,

OK, so I've sourced an electric lead for our first "electrified"
camping experience - previously ONLY used gas. The lead has all the
usual bits, waterproof, RCD, bright colour, dongly bit to plug into the
campsite etc so I'm sorted for the UK (or I think I am)

BUT - we're also going to France, now I'm assuming we're going to need
an adaptor of some kind? I've read various discussions but I'm no
wiser.

SO

(a) Can anyone give me a link to a photo so I know what I'm looking for
and
(b) Once this adaptor is bought is that all I'll need?
(c) does the adaptor connect the dongly bit to the french campsite?

Many Thanks.

Old January 7th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

All you need is to go into a caravan dealers shop and tell them what
you have got and what you intend to do and I am sure they will take
you money.

Beware there are two types of French twin pin but a lot are now UK
type lead now. Then you need a current polarity checker for the UK end
of your lead to make sure its the right way round on the French end
and a switch cable if it is not.

Just go to a dealer he will show you.

Regards

Peter

Old January 7th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

You should also look out for circuits that are wired opposite to ours. Buy
a test plug to check that the system is correctly earthed etc. you just plug
this into a socket in your caravan when hooking up and if all is OK then
fine; if not you will need a changeover piece to get the correct polarity.
You can make this yourself or buy one. To make it, you get a male and
female connector and join them together with a short length of cable but
you cross connect the wiring so that the positive goes to the negative and
so on. You must clearly mark that it is a special connection and then it is
just a case of inserting it if the wiring is wrong.

Old January 7th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 7th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 10:37:23 GMT, "David"
wrote:

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

French power outlets are either double pole switched or unswitched.

If you change the sockets in your van to double pole switched ones you
don't need to worry about polarity.
Sockets made by MEM Delta, Volex & Contactum are some of the ones that
are.
The pretty coloured made by Australian company Clipsil which are
fitted by most UK manufactures are only single pole switched.

Lenny

Old January 7th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

It allways interests me in threads like this when the wrong way round
comes
up. I wonder about the French Caravan/campers themselves do they do these
checks?
Any French people reading can you comment please.
If they do not check why do we have to?
When in France I did not see anyone electrocuted.

French power outlets are either double pole switched or unswitched.

If you change the sockets in your van to double pole switched ones you
don't need to worry about polarity.
Sockets made by MEM Delta, Volex & Contactum are some of the ones that
are.
The pretty coloured made by Australian company Clipsil which are
fitted by most UK manufactures are only single pole switched.

Yes but what difference does this make in practice?

Please reply to News Group