For attention Bob Douglas

Old January 10th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

Default For attention Bob Douglas

Hi Bob

Thanks for the heads up on the Technosonic freeview box
(neat ain't it) got one today.

A question if I may.

Have taken volts reading from the mains tranformer and
it returns 12.30 volts each time.

If I am going to use the freeview unit in the caravan off 12volt
battery which shows more than the above ie 12.8 volts or more
is there a danger of doing damage to the freeview unit ???.

Supply voltage fed to the unit in the caravan will not drop to much
as I three 110 amp hr batteries linked together and kept charged
by a 80 watts solar panel,so thought I'd ask if you know answer
before I fry it :-(

Thanks--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

Old January 10th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
Hi Bob

Thanks for the heads up on the Technosonic freeview box
(neat ain't it) got one today.

A question if I may.

Have taken volts reading from the mains tranformer and
it returns 12.30 volts each time.

If I am going to use the freeview unit in the caravan off 12volt
battery which shows more than the above ie 12.8 volts or more
is there a danger of doing damage to the freeview unit ???.

Supply voltage fed to the unit in the caravan will not drop to much
as I three 110 amp hr batteries linked together and kept charged
by a 80 watts solar panel,so thought I'd ask if you know answer
before I fry it :-(

Thanks--
Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.

It's always a risk (but I think one you would run with any so-called 12V
unit).

AFAIK, all the 12V units on sale are nominally 12V from a transformer, but
are used regularly by people against a caravan supply that can and does go
higher.

The percentage fluctuation allowable in the nominal 230v input would assume
at least a 5% safety margin on the rated voltage.

My 'van supply maxes out at 14.4V when on full charge, and for convenience I
will probably run via the 12V connection when hooked up).

Some may be better than others at the increased voltage, but I don't think
you'll get a clear view from any documentation.

Just going to have to suck it and see (that's what I said about needing an
extended trial - my test was about ten minutes).

I'll post here if I fry mine first :-)

Still pleased with the performance of mine indoors.
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old January 10th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

"ForeverArsenal" wrote in message
Hi Bob

Thanks for the heads up on the Technosonic freeview box
(neat ain't it) got one toda

Bob Douglas" wrote in message
...y.

It's always a risk (but I think one you would run with any so-called 12V
unit).

Thanks for the reply Bob.

Have not had time to try mine as yet in house
and will not use in the caravan for few months yet.

I did see in comets a variable dc voltage unit @15
with cigar plug on the end of lead and wondered if it was
worth getting to feed the freeview unit as it showed
something like 3,6,9,12 volt and thought maybe it would
give a bang-on 12 volt,also included about six different
sized round pins ?.

Like you say will have to suck and see ;-)

Barry.
If it ain't broke-don't fix it.
"