Orange Cable

Old January 10th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Orange Cable

In the Caravan Club magazine there was a little snippet stating that they
discouraged the use of multiple electric hook up leads but did not explain
why, the only reasons I can think of would be water ingress into the midway
connector and possibly voltage drop. Can anyone else shed any light on
this?

I have my van on the drive but the 25m lead is not quite long enough to
reach from the garage. I was going to make up a 10m lead to use with the 25m
one and obviously to use on sites where the hook-up is close.

BTW why is it cheaper to buy a 25m lead to cut down to 10m (and save the
other 15m) than it is to buy 10m of cable, a plug and a socket.

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old January 11th 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:30:03 -0000, "billy whizz"
wrote:

| In the Caravan Club magazine there was a little snippet stating that they
| discouraged the use of multiple electric hook up leads but did not explain
| why, the only reasons I can think of would be water ingress into the midway
| connector and possibly voltage drop. Can anyone else shed any light on
| this?
|
| I have my van on the drive but the 25m lead is not quite long enough to
| reach from the garage. I was going to make up a 10m lead to use with the 25m
| one and obviously to use on sites where the hook-up is close.

I have several times connected one orange lead to another when on
small sites, without CCs regimented one electric supply per pitch and
gravel spit hardstanding, without problems. We carry two 25m and
one 10m cable. I have once used all three. The blue plugs are
designed to be proof against rain and damp, by having long creapage
distances between the various terminals. It is a bad idea however to
dunk the connector between two orange cables in muddy water. I
really would not like to see a connector in a puddle, and would
probably do something about it if I did. I keep these connectors off
the ground by tieing them to fences or whatever is convenient. That
should be sufficient to keep them safe, but the UK has gone completely
risk averse, and assumes that everyone has an IQ of 50. and always
does everything wrong.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
Old January 11th 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old January 11th 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old January 11th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Dave Fawthrop came up with the following;:
wrote:

[...]

I agree. We only use sites a couple of times a year all other times we're
normally in a field and have to use multiple cables. The longest we've used
is three 25m cables, but as you say with the connectors tied above ground
level they're reasonably safe.

That
should be sufficient to keep them safe, but the UK has gone completely
risk averse, and assumes that everyone has an IQ of 50. and always
does everything wrong.

LOL, they're looking out for our best interests, surely ?

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old January 11th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"billy whizz" wrote in message
In the Caravan Club magazine there was a little snippet stating that they
discouraged the use of multiple electric hook up leads but did not explain why,
the only reasons I can think of would be water ingress into the midway connector
and possibly voltage drop. Can anyone else shed any light on this?

I have my van on the drive but the 25m lead is not quite long enough to reach
from the garage. I was going to make up a 10m lead to use with the 25m one and
obviously to use on sites where the hook-up is close.

BTW why is it cheaper to buy a 25m lead to cut down to 10m (and save the other
15m) than it is to buy 10m of cable, a plug and a socket.

--
Jim
North Derbyshire
UK.

The reason is SAFETY

Put in a nutshell the male and female connectors are not waterproof

One CAMP COMMANDANT ( C&CC of course ) nearly threw me off a site because I used a
25 + 10 meter hook up lead

We Survived on Batteries for a couple of days .

During the summer months when its not cold our consumption of electricity is
minimal , we're not in favour of the Idiots Lantern

DieSea