Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Old January 11th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary

Default Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Having just bought a boat, we need all of these and our old caravan
has them, could we strip it out and use these items, how is the fire
flue etc fitted in a "van"?

Just an idea that could save us fortunes and make writing the caravan
off worthwhile.

Old January 11th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Holmes

"Gary" wrote in message
Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Having just bought a boat, we need all of these and our old caravan
has them, could we strip it out and use these items, how is the fire
flue etc fitted in a "van"?

Just an idea that could save us fortunes and make writing the caravan
off worthwhile.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your caravan bits in the
boat, you would have to site the flue carefully though, to make sure that
the fumes did not get back into the boat.

Alan

Old January 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Gary came up with the following;:
Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Having just bought a boat, we need all of these and our old caravan
has them, could we strip it out and use these items,

Yes, it's an eminently suitable and fitting end for a caravan. So many just
rot from the outside in.

how is the fire flue etc fitted in a "van"?

Metal 'tube' to a plastic vent is usual. If the caravan is to be taken
apart, then just take this bit apart carefully ... You coudl use the
corrugated central heating duct piping/tubing to make a longer flue for the
boat.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old January 11th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Gary wrote:

Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Having just bought a boat, we need all of these and our old caravan
has them, could we strip it out and use these items, how is the fire
flue etc fitted in a "van"?

Just an idea that could save us fortunes and make writing the caravan
off worthwhile.

Not sure! I always thought that you need special arrangements for using gas
appliances on a boat. In particular, caravans always have vents in the
*floor* under gas appliances so that any leaking gas - which is heavier than
air - can safely escape without presenting a fire risk. Vents in the bottom
of a boat may be less than desirable! g

Also some caravan heaters (maybe only older ones?) have balanced flues
facing downwards - which require another hole in the floor - rather than
having a flue pipe going through the roof. Clearly, this sort wouldn't be
much use in a boat!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock