best satnav for france and spain

« - | - »

Old January 12th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

Default best satnav for france and spain

Im sure this has been covered before but what is the best Satnav system for
car in uk france and spain???

many thanks

Barry

Old January 12th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Barry" wrote in message
Im sure this has been covered before but what is the best Satnav system
for car in uk france and spain???

I used tomtom 3 on my PDA for 3 months touring around europe last year,
worked fine.

we went to a lot more out of the way places that i would have dared to try
and go to if i was relying on a paper map, i was in a motorhome, and was
avoiding camp sites, thus i had downloaded the points of interest files for
french aires, german wohnmobile stellplatz's, the swiss versions of the
aires and so on,

i also picked up a few books with lists of the free or under 5 euros a night
stop over places, and just chose one in the town i wanted to stay in, put
the address into tomtom, and let it take me there.

Also worked when i was in germany and running my van on bio-diesel, i would
look up the address of a petrol station selling it, and use tom tom to take
me there, no way i'd have found one of the bio-diesel stations.. that turned
out to be the cheapest i'd seen on the entire trip (88 cents a litre.. tho i
got a tank full for free as they said they took visa, but turned out they
didn't, so they gave me the fuel for free as it was their mistake.. can you
imagine that happening over here

i only have experiance with tom-tom, i bought a PDA and gps reciever card
off a friend in a club im in 5 days before we left for the tour, so i was
learning how to use the pda as well as tom-tom, but it's all pretty easy,
and i even had time to download a load of the poi files i wanted with the
aires and all that to integrate with tom-tom,

Not sure if the pure sat nav systems (ones that dont run tom-tom) can do
that, but it's a very very handy thing to have, being able to select a
site/aire in the town you want to go to, and have it take you there, rather
than having to navigate to the nearest town, then try and find the place by
looking up the place you want to be.

Also, having a pda was very handy for me, as i used it to seek out open wifi
spots when i wanted net access, for checking e-mails and reading sites i did
it all on the pda, but for web site updates i would then get the laptop once
i had located an open wifi spot.

Another good thing with the pda, i downloaded a language translation
programme, and a euro calculator amoungst other programmes, the language
translator was very handy as you can imagine, i'd type the question in i
wanted to ask in english, translate it to the language of the country i was
in, and if i couldent pronounce the words, i'd show the person the screen,
and they'd know what i wanted straight away,
i even got one to type his reply on the pda in his language, and it
translated it to english for me.

all these programmes are free, there's plenty of people out there who write
them in their spare time, so to me having sat nav on a pda is a lot better
than having a stand alone sat nav system that is an electronic map, and
that's it... the pda you have the electronic map, and a computer that will
run thousands of programmes.. and it fits in your pocket.

one proggy i do like is a mpg calculator, just enter your mileage, and the
ammount of fuel you put in every time you re-fuel, and it keeps track of
what mpg figures your getting, gives best, worst and averages and so on,
that proggy proved that bio-diesel is a lot better for my van than normal
diesel, as i got an average of 55 miles extra to a tank full of bio-diesel.

Old January 12th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ForeverArsenal

"Barry" wrote in message
Im sure this has been covered before but what is the best Satnav system
for car in uk france and spain

VDO Dayton
--
Barry.