Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Old January 12th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.waterways.fens,uk.rec.waterways
Ron Jones

Default Caravan heating, cooker, electrics into a boat?

Tony Brooks wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

snip

1. Cookers should have flame failure devices on all burners, but
there are exemptions for existing installations.

2. I suspect caravan heaters of the catalytic or ceramic plaque type
would not meet the BSS and would not be very safe. If the heater is
room sealed (balance flue) then it will probably be OK - make & model
to BSS as already said.

3. All gas bottles should be stored within a gas locker constructed
as per the BSS specs (vent to air at lowest point and non-combustible
materials.
4. Since April 2005 I THINK it is acceptable to use a non-roomsealed
gas fridge, but before that date the days of non-roomsealed gas
appliances were numbered.

IIRC what is valid in an existing boat, is not for new installations.
I've got a 4 burner cooker+grill+oven and only the oven has flame failure,
plus a 1 bar ceramic gas fire (with flame failure), a non room gas sealed
fridge, and a Paloma (not room sealed, but with vent).
All were installed many years ago. What that has also meant is that...
1. The mushroom over the Paloma had to go (smoke match filled the boat!),
and replaced with a chimney that would "draw".
2. The amount of vent area is *large* - enough (just) for 4 people and all
the appliances on at once.
3. Not for BSS, but peace of mind, a nice new CO monitor.

--
Ron Jones
Process Safety & Development, Alfa Aesar Avocado Lancaster UK

Old January 12th 06, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.waterways.fens,uk.rec.waterways
Gary

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:07:20 -0000, "Ron Jones"
wrote:

Tony Brooks wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

What would you guys recommend then if you were to buy current models
of heater, cooker and 12volt/mains system? to comply with everything
but still be affordable?

Old January 12th 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.waterways.fens,uk.rec.waterways
Ron Jones

wrote:

Tony Brooks wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

[...]

As a rough guess... (but check with BSS office)
Heater - I assume it would have to be room sealed, sounds expensive. I
think a lot of people have gone over to diesel central heating - I'm sure
someone will comment..
Cooker - A new one would have to have flame failure devices on all burners.
Fridge - An efficient electric one - or an efficient invertor (after all a
lot of 240V ones use not much power), or a room sealed gas one (cost!)

Old January 13th 06, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.waterways.fens,uk.rec.waterways
Tony Brooks

"Gary" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:07:20 -0000, "Ron Jones"
wrote:

Snip the bits about BSS & equipment

What would you guys recommend then if you were to buy current models
of heater, cooker and 12volt/mains system? to comply with everything
but still be affordable?

I think this is the wrong question. The right question is "How can I afford
what is available?"

Basically the cooker will probably be whatever Stoves ltd one that is in
stock because any other is likely to be more expensive - say 350 to 450
new.

Fridge 12V around 340+ plus anything up to 200 for cables depending upon
relative location of fridge and batteries and possible extra 110 ah battery
(say 55 ish).

Alternatively domestic A rated fridge (no idea of cost, but probably
expensive because of size) plus inverter say 300 - 500 depending upon
output etc.plus possible extra battery.

Dometic gas fridge 600 +

240 volts - zero - ignore it or use a 20 Maplin special inverter for dry
cell charging.

12V - can be very low - scrounge and if forced to buy use automotive stuff
(do not connect negatives to hull). Do not be tempted to use mains , single
strand cable.

Oh Yes - Fire extinguishers plus fire blanket, allow say 200.

As I said above, you can source the expensive stuff second-hand, but you
must ensure it will meet the BSS when installed. If this is a boat already
on the inland system (no Broads) it should have a schedule of equipment
prepared during the last BSS, so trying to rely upon exemptions for existing
craft might not work if you fit equipment that does not comply with the
latest BSS requirements. On the other hand it might, but you really can not
expect to be advised that it OK to try.

I am surprised no one has come up with "Boats are holes in the water into
which the owner throws 50 notes."

--
Tony Brooks
www.TB-Training.co.uk