Will my Astra Estate be any good for towing

Old January 13th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

Default Will my Astra Estate be any good for towing

I am having a lot of problems with the turbo on my VW Sharan TDI (keeps
going into limp mode) and so I am tempted to get rid of it.

I have an ABI Jubilee Courier 4 berth 1998 and am yet to check the weight
etc but...

I am wondering if my N reg Astra Estate 1600 16V will be any good as a tow
car.
Has anyone used a car like this for towing?

--
Andrew Cutforth - AJC Software - www.ajcsoft.com
The best folder synchronize and directory compare tool available.

Old January 13th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I am wondering if my N reg Astra Estate 1600 16V will be any good as a tow
car.
Has anyone used a car like this for towing?

I had a Cavalier 1600 and tried it with a Swift Cottingham two berth. It was
fine on the level, useless on hills.
Would guess that your Astra would be ok if the all up weight of the van is
well under a tonne.
DaveK.

Old January 13th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andrew" wrote in message
I am having a lot of problems with the turbo on my VW Sharan TDI (keeps
going into limp mode) and so I am tempted to get rid of it.

I have an ABI Jubilee Courier 4 berth 1998 and am yet to check the weight
etc but...

I am wondering if my N reg Astra Estate 1600 16V will be any good as a tow
car.
Has anyone used a car like this for towing?

In the past I've used Astra and Escorts of 1400 and 1600cc petrol.
Towed OK, but of course lack power, lots of changing down gear, and time
needed to get up to 50/60mph.
I suppose if you do not wish to buy another car at this piont in time best
to get a tow bar fitted and give it a go.
Lots of family people caravan with these.

When changing you might consider 1800 cc diesel that was my move up, found
that a great improvement with the caravan.
Stayed with diesel ever since, now 2200cc 134bhp.

Please reply to News Group

Old January 13th 06, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Andrew wrote:

I am having a lot of problems with the turbo on my VW Sharan TDI
(keeps going into limp mode) and so I am tempted to get rid of it.

I have an ABI Jubilee Courier 4 berth 1998 and am yet to check the
weight etc but...

I am wondering if my N reg Astra Estate 1600 16V will be any good as
a tow car.
Has anyone used a car like this for towing?

Without knowing the all-up weight of the caravan, and the kerb weight of the
car, it's very difficult to say. The normal rule of thumb for good towing
stability is that the all-up weight of the caravan should be no greater than
85% of the kerb weight of the towcar. There is also a legal restriction - in
that it is illegal to tow more than the max permissible trailer weight
specified by the towcar manufacturer, or to exceed the max permissible train
weight (total weight of loaded car plus caravan).

There is also the issue of performance. Ideally, the tow car needs plenty on
umph at lowish revs - a 2 litre (or more) turbo diesel usually makes a good
towcar for a caravan having an all-up weight of around a tonne. Unless the
caravan weighs considerably less than this in road-going trim (which I
doubt) a 1600cc petrol engine might struggle a bit - particularly if max
torque occurs at highish revs, as is often the case with 16v engines.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock